.45LC Underlever... what to get..?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

.45LC Underlever... what to get..?

#1 Post by Daryll »

After using one in the US last year, I have a hankering (and an empty slot) for a .45 Long Colt underlever.

This would be for general plinking and club comps, probably with a peep sight, but I'm torn between the various makers.

Henry... nope, that loading process would soon get tiresome.
Uberti... nope, too expensive for a plinking gun
Marlin... my preferred option, but expensive new, and rocking horse poop 2nd hand.
Winchester.. a possibility, but I've heard a lot about them breaking lifters.
Rossi... probably the best option... cheap, but rough internally so needs tuning and polishing to smooth out and make reliable.

So at the moment Rossi is the leading contender, and I don't mind having a project to work on, but does anyone else have any recommendations / thoughts / comments...??

TIA

Daryll.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: .45LC Underlever... what to get..?

#2 Post by breacher »

Daryll wrote:After using one in the US last year, I have a hankering (and an empty slot) for a .45 Long Colt underlever.

This would be for general plinking and club comps, probably with a peep sight, but I'm torn between the various makers.

Henry... nope, that loading process would soon get tiresome.
Uberti... nope, too expensive for a plinking gun
Marlin... my preferred option, but expensive new, and rocking horse poop 2nd hand.
Winchester.. a possibility, but I've heard a lot about them breaking lifters.
Rossi... probably the best option... cheap, but rough internally so needs tuning and polishing to smooth out and make reliable.

So at the moment Rossi is the leading contender, and I don't mind having a project to work on, but does anyone else have any recommendations / thoughts / comments...??

I suppose another question is does anyone have something in .45LC lurking unused in their cabinets that they want to move on for a reasonable price..?

TIA

Daryll.
I had a Winchester - one of the first suppressed many years ago - really regret selling it !!
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

I have a Henry Big Boy in .45 Colt. Bought it for around £500 from a guy who seldom shot (or cleaned ) it.
It has rapidly overtaken my Marlin and Winchester under-levers as my go to competition rifle.
It's a bit like the Ruger 10/22 in that it makes you out to be a better shot than you actually are.
I would URGE you to buy one - you won't regret it.

These Shoot 'n' See targets are about 8 inches in diameter and were shot at 25 yards continuously shot and worked from the shoulder. It's a weighty rifle -recoil is negligible.

The flyer on the top target was all down to me - the butt end is polished brass. I held it to my shoulder a little too relaxed and it slipped against my slinky cardigan. It was the last target of the evening and I was tiring. I hadn't really been aiming all evening - just kind of plinking.
Attachments
P1090810.JPG
P1090809.JPG
P1090808.JPG
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Chapuis

#4 Post by Chapuis »

Would either of these for sale on the Stalking Directory be of any interest to you?

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/ ... lt.163103/

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/ ... lc.155758/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

I've not actually shot a Rossi in .45 Colt but I considered one because the price for new ones are very reasonable compared to Marlins, Henrys, Winchesters Ubertis and so on.

What immediately put me off was how very light they feel. I've no experience whatsoever but I reckoned recoil would nudge my shots to the detriment.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Daryll
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Daryll »

Chapuis wrote:Would either of these for sale on the Stalking Directory be of any interest to you?

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/ ... lt.163103/

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/ ... lc.155758/

OOOHHHH.... yes.... that Rossi for £250 is just what I'm looking for... and at a price the wife can't complain about!!
I'll have to register on that forum and make more enquiries.. thanks Chapuis...
Daryll
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Daryll »

Dark Skies wrote:I've not actually shot a Rossi in .45 Colt but I considered one because the price for new ones are very reasonable compared to Marlins, Henrys, Winchesters Ubertis and so on.

What immediately put me off was how very light they feel. I've no experience whatsoever but I reckoned recoil would nudge my shots to the detriment.
I'm not intending any heavy loads in this.. my max range will be 50 yds, so no need to waste powder!!

Nice shooting with the Henry there, and it was a Henry i fired out in the US, but fortunately I didn't have to load it :)
My Son has a Big Boy in .357, so i've had a go with that too.... but i still prefer my Marlin.
swotty
Home club or Range: FDPC & NRA

#8 Post by swotty »

I have a Rossi in .357 and love it. I find the action to be fine although not as slick as some of other club member's Marlins, Winchesters that i've shot. That said mine is only 6months old and has certainly got slicker with use and some of the others i've shot are 20-30yrs old so will be more worn in. Rossi's are great guns.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

Daryll wrote: So at the moment Rossi is the leading contender, and I don't mind having a project to work on, but does anyone else have any recommendations / thoughts / comments...??
I've shot a .45LC 16" round barrel S/S Rossi carbine over in Texas a couple of years ago, and yes, would need some gunsmith working to slick it up a bit once its had 500-600 rounds through it. A fellow club member had her s/s Rossi .357 slicked up by A&A Gunsmiths, and that improved it a hell of a lot.

I think the Rossi is a good gun for the money, and I'd have one over a Marlin, as I just don't see what everyone sees in Marlins, because everyone I've shot had been a piece of junk.

I wouldn't trade my .45LC Uberti 1873 for any other levergun though, its bloody lovely ;)
Furiouspilgrim
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: 49th

#10 Post by Furiouspilgrim »

I have an old Marlin cowboy competition model in .45LC. Would probably be one of my last guns to sell.