Licensing questions

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Jrich

Licensing questions

#1 Post by Jrich »

Hi, I have a couple of novice questions about shotgun licenses.

1. I have had my license for years, but for the first time have added several shotguns and sent off the paperwork to notify the firearms officer within the 72 hours. Should I expect a reply to confirm these have been added? Or a revised license with them added?

2. My wife is applying for a license too, as she wants to shoot occasionally and it avoids complications with cabinet keys and where I leave ammunition etc. Does she need to declare the shotguns I have in her application? They are on mine, so I don’t know if they can be on 2 licenses, or whether she should leave it blank until she gets her own gun?

Thanks!
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

Re: Licensing questions

#2 Post by J4mes »

1. Mine were only added in print when my licence went back for something else....change of address I think.

2. If she is to have access to the safe with your shotguns in then they must be listed on her licence. If not, then no. When she buys her own gun, if it is to be stored in the same safe as your shotguns then it must be listed on both your licences. If in a separate safe then it only goes on her license as long as she is the only one with access to it.

Licence is not required for possession of shotgun ammo (unless slugs) so no worries there.

Obviously if you keep anything FAC related in the same safe she cannot have access to the safe.

This is as I understand it. May be worth discussing it with your FEO for full clarity.
Jrich

#3 Post by Jrich »

Thank you, ill get her to do that then as we will be sharing a cabinet.

Still slightly concerned if my letter went missing for my shotgun additions, how i would find out before renewal.
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#4 Post by J4mes »

I'm not sure if there is interaction between forces when a sale or transfer takes place - obviously the seller notifies his/her force that a sale has taken place and gives all your details and you notify your force that a purchase has taken place and you give all his details but I'm not sure if his force notify your force as well.

Best thing to do if you're concerned is ring your department and double check. Lincolnshire have online notification now and they update the status of the notification online as it progresses.
Rockhopper

#5 Post by Rockhopper »

My force don’t acknowledge receipt of transfer forms but if you are worried just give them a bell. Round here they’ll send a car round within a week or two if one party notifies and the other doesn’t!
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Jrich wrote: Still slightly concerned if my letter went missing for my shotgun additions, how i would find out before renewal.
Send the notification as an email, you should get an automated response which is seen as acknowledgement of notification but even if you didn't you will still have a copy of the notification in your SENT box as proof (just make sure you get the email address correct).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
shoppe
Home club or Range: Any field

#7 Post by shoppe »

i always send letters by recorded delivery, that,s your proof you sent it

I have never had a reply, it just goes on your ticket the next time.

shoppe
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

Just for clarity;

1/ The 72hr limit does not apply to gun transfers. The 72hr limit is how long you can lend another Shotgun Certificate holder a Section 2 shotgun WITHOUT having to fill in any paperwork/notify the police. You have 7 days to notify the police in the case of a transfer.

2/ YOu don't need to prevent your wife from gaining access to 'normal' shotgun ammunition i.e. bird and buckshot. Only solid slug has to be stored in a cabinet/ammo safe.
DVC
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Not sure about Hampshire, other counties will insist on separate cabinets.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#10 Post by Fedaykin »

It is not a License, it is a Certificate. The difference is important!
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.