Cheap spotting scope recommendations please

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Charlie J

Cheap spotting scope recommendations please

#1 Post by Charlie J »

As above for .22 mainly 25yds but would be nice if it go out to 100yds if possible .
daman
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Re: Cheap spotting scope recommendations please

#2 Post by daman »

I picked up a Bresser Spotting Scope. 20-60x60 from a well known auction website for ~£40.

It's perfectly adequate for an indoor 25m range, and just about usable at 100m on a good day outside.

That said, I had the chance to look through a club mates Vortex scope recently and it was vastly superior (but ~10x the price!)

I think when it comes to glass, you have to pay for quality.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#3 Post by hitchphil »

Aldi, Optus, Lidl etc - dont bother.

2nd hand Opticron, Greenkat, Viking or Nikon. my £150 x twitchers Opticton GA80 can see shot holes at 600yds.
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
snayperskaya
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

hitchphil wrote:Aldi, Optus, Lidl etc - dont bother.

2nd hand Opticron, Greenkat, Viking or Nikon. my £150 x twitchers Opticton GA80 can see shot holes at 600yds.
To be fair I bought one from Lidl for £25 and it isn't bad, certainly up to the job out to around 300m and a lot further if looking at something other than little holes, the money I saved I put towards more ammo!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
sclg
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#5 Post by sclg »

Opticron are quite good and lot's around s/h.
Good one a few years ago and it's been fine.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#6 Post by hitchphil »

snayperskaya wrote:

To be fair I bought one from Lidl for £25 and it isn't bad, certainly up to the job out to around 300m and a lot further if looking at something other than little holes, the money I saved I put towards more ammo!.
Depends on what you want to see? the target, the paddle & the fall of shot marker? - or the mirage & wind? you can see most of the former with a cheap scope, but not the latter. Certainly not at long range & with sufficient depth of field to see the target & 2/3rds of the ranges air between you & it. - try de-focusing it to 300yds when at 600 - still see the target & shot marker?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#7 Post by Dark Skies »

At that distance any of the reasonably priced bird watching spotters would do. A 9-27 x 50 would probably do you at around £30 - £40
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Charlie J

#8 Post by Charlie J »

Thanks for the advice guys
tfb
Home club or Range: TSC

#9 Post by tfb »

snayperskaya wrote:

They are fine for 25 yards and still OK at 100. Yes, you do get a bit of colour fringing at times and the stand can be a bit wobbly but for short range work they are well worth the money
JohnASmith97
Home club or Range: Southampton University

#10 Post by JohnASmith97 »

tfb wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:

They are fine for 25 yards and still OK at 100. Yes, you do get a bit of colour fringing at times and the stand can be a bit wobbly but for short range work they are well worth the money
I disagree, we have a bunch of those in our Uni club in a variety of stages of being trashed, and you can only just barely see .22 shot holes at 50m. Maybe in optimal conditions you might be able to push that to 100, but I wouldn't rely on it.