Scope click adjustment.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Scope click adjustment.

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

As I have said before rifle scopes are foreign objects to me. These days I am moving further away from milsurp iron sighted rifles. I have acquired a couple of scopes that I am currently installing on rifles. If I zero the first one at 100 yards how many clicks do I need to put on to get to 200, 300, etc out to 500 yards. This scope is 1/8" clicks adjustment.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Scope click adjustment.

#2 Post by dromia »

Depends on the trajectory of the bullet.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#3 Post by snayperskaya »

I think it would depend on the calibre and bullet weight etc as trajectory will vary greatly.

A ballistic calculator app such as Strelok may help as it has quite a few different scopes listed and you can input your ammunition data.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#4 Post by TattooedGun »

Alpha1 wrote:As I have said before rifle scopes are foreign objects to me. These days I am moving further away from milsurp iron sighted rifles. I have acquired a couple of scopes that I am currently installing on rifles. If I zero the first one at 100 yards how many clicks do I need to put on to get to 200, 300, etc out to 500 yards. This scope is 1/8" clicks adjustment.
This is dependant on the amount of drop that you get from the bullet/rifle combination at those distances.

So if you have a .308, zeroed at 100 yards. And over the next 100 yards it drops an inch, that would be 1/2 MOA - since you have 1/8 MOA clicks, that would be 4 clicks to be on at 200 yards...

A good ballistic calculator will let you know the theoretical drop for each distance, and most bullets will give you an average fps for that bullet...

A good chrono will give you all of the information you need to be absollutely accurate, but you will get close enough to be on target boards with most information you can get hold of from bullet manufacturers.

It all comes down to the bullet and rifle combination though.