Changing gun storage address.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sabertooth
Home club or Range: Donderbus RPC

Changing gun storage address.

#1 Post by Sabertooth »

I currently have my gun cabinet at my parents address where they have been since I started shooting 30 years ago. My mums health is now declining and I need to move them to my home address. I'm yet to speak to my local plod but I'm guessing it would be better to buy a new cabinet (I was thinking about getting a bigger one anyway) and get it inspected by the FEO, rather than move the current one.
Does anyone know if you can ask for an appointment with the FEO to get some advice?
Gun control is hitting the target.
DavidRees
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: JSPC; Tayside; NRA

Re: Changing gun storage address.

#2 Post by DavidRees »

Having been through the installation/inspection process at least once, you will have a pretty good idea of what your local constabulary require in terms of installation, etc. Just go ahead and install the new safe, transfer the guns, and then inform your FEO that you have moved them, and ask them to amend your FAC accordingly. Invite them to inspect at a time convenient to themselves.

If you follow the basic rules (securely affixed to the fabric of the property, approved gun safe, safe out of sight from windows and casual vistors to your home) you shouldn't have any issue. You don't need prior approval of safe, location, etc. -- just make sure that you meet the above rules.

You are, of course, able to ask their advice if you wish beforehand -- but they'll still want a visit after you've done the installation.

If you are confident you've installed it properly, transfer the guns as soon as it suits you, as long as you let them know after you've done it. After all, in the unlikely event they don't like your new installation, you can put them back with your Mum! You don't need their permission to use your new security -- you just need to inform them, and allow inspection if they so desire.

I should point out that I've moved house multiple times as an FAC holder. I've always installed the security, put my guns inside, and then notified the police to come and inspect. There's never been any issue with my right to do it this way around, having moved between several widely-separated constabularies.

Security is our responsibility, it does not lie with the police. They have the power to inspect, and to disapprove if there is something wrong, but where we site the safe is up to us, as long as we obey the rules.

In writing this, I do recall one debate with an FEO who came to inspect my security after a move. She objected to the place I'd put the safe, on the basis that it "was too difficult" to get to, and therefore I wouldn't bother to put my kit away. I pointed out that in all my previous houses, that was where I'd situated it and no other constabulary had queried it--rather the opposite, in fact. I added the fact that in locating my safe where it was my primary concern was to make finding the safe difficult for any casual burglar, and she shut up. If I'd invited her around beforehand to give advice, I'd have been faced with placing the safe elsewhere, or going against her expressed wishes--neither a pleasant prospect.
DavidRees
Past Supporter

#3 Post by DavidRees »

I've just realised that I may have answered the wrong question; if so, I apologise.

The FEOs can and do offer security advice, including location and preferred method of affixing a safe, but they are unlkely to be able to recommend a particular safe -- just that is has to meet the required standards for holding guns. Any decent safe sold by an FAC will meet this standard. The only time it might be an issue is if you are planning on installing a safe not primarily designed for guns.
Sabertooth

#4 Post by Sabertooth »

I was planing on getting one that my local RFD has so it will be OK. Thank you for your advice/experience. When I inform plod of the change of address is it classed as a variation?
DavidRees
Past Supporter

#5 Post by DavidRees »

It's not a variation in the usual sense, where you are changing either the number or the types of guns you can possess/acquire. It's simply a request for a change of address on your FAC. I'm assuming the address currently on your FAC is that of your Mum, as the address where the guns are currently stored? If the address on your FAC is your home, the same as where your guns will be stored once you move them, your FAC will not need to be altered--just let them know the guns have moved.

In either event, there will be no charge. Just make sure you send in the FAC for address change, or simply notify them of the move of the guns, within seven days or less of the transfer. The amount of time is not defined, but has to be "without undue delay"--condition 3 on your FAC.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

When I changed address around 4 years ago I moved everything to the new address, bolted the cabinet in and notified my Licensing Department both in writing with a change of address form and my FAC and also by email.I received a form through the post that I had to sign, basically it asked if my firearms were stored securely and the cabinet was attached securely.This was sent back to them the same day and three days later my FAC came back with the address changed.Haven't had a visit at all, in fact I've never seen my FLO since the visit for my initial grant!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Rockhopper

#7 Post by Rockhopper »

Same for me, two years since I moved and no inspection, they weren’t even bothered if I didn’t want to update the details on my tickets (and I have emails to prove that)!
Sabertooth

#8 Post by Sabertooth »

Thanks for the advice guys.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#9 Post by breacher »

Rockhopper wrote:Same for me, two years since I moved and no inspection, they weren’t even bothered if I didn’t want to update the details on my tickets (and I have emails to prove that)!
I had similar Herts to Cambs.

No hurry at all to come and see me.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire