Ultrasonic cleaning

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Ultrasonic cleaning

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

Most spectacular I saw was brass being cleaned with drain cleaner, they loaded OK however you could snap the complete neck and bullet off with your fingers on some of them. The customer was going to 'Shoot them off' I suggested destroying them was a more viable solution :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#12 Post by sclg »

shugie wrote:
sclg wrote:I found this stuff many years ago and have used it ever since for all sorts of things. Works wonders on brass with 8 mins in the ultrasonic bath.
Not that cheap but you use so little (about 1% solution) it lasts for ages.
https://www.coleparmer.co.uk/p/cole-par ... lution/504

Steve
Says not to use with zinc (or magnesium, aluminium) is that ok with brass which has zinc in it? I've seen old brass seacocks become weakened through the zinc being leached out by seawater. Takes a long time of immersion to do it though.
I'm no chemist! All I can say is I've been using it for more than 15 years on everything form .38 to .308 and never had a problem - or any of the discolouration others have talked about. Bear in mind they're not in the solution for long!
StanDeasy

#13 Post by StanDeasy »

Micro-90 is ammoniated and highly alkaline! The MSDS clearly states it will etch zinc, copper and alloys thereof - i.e. brass.

Don't use chemicals like this to clean your brass, it's not worth the risk.