Upping ammunition limits with The Met.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sc85uk

Upping ammunition limits with The Met.

#1 Post by Sc85uk »

Hey, just wondering if anybody has successfully had their ammo limits raised with The Met.

I can hold 2000 .22 and get through that easily all by myself in three or four trips to the range a month, I intend to go to the range at least once or twice a week with two family members who want to get their own FAC's so can see my supplies being depleted rather quickly.

Do you think asking to up my limit to 5000 based on this information and due to the fact that I can not get to my RFD often be a reasonable request to ask for that amount?
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

Re: Upping ammunition limits with The Met.

#2 Post by daman »

I have asked a and been turned down by the Met. My limit is 1200 and I wanted 2000.

The club I mainly shoot at does not enter sales of .22 on the FAC unless it is to be removed from the premises, as I usually buy 100 - 200 at a times and shoot them before leaving I did not have the evidence needed to convince the Met to increase my limit.

So my advice would be get every purchase entered on your FAC and build a good paper trail - I'd guess if you can show proof of buy 1000 ~ 2000 a month they might listen to you.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Sim G »

Having to go the gunshop a couple or three times a month, each time acquiring your full allowance would be evidence that you need an increase. Submitting what might happen I don’t think will cut it.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sc85uk

#4 Post by Sc85uk »

daman wrote:I have asked a and been turned down by the Met. My limit is 1200 and I wanted 2000.

The club I mainly shoot at does not enter sales of .22 on the FAC

I'd guess if you can show proof of buy 1000 ~ 2000 a month they might listen to you.
My club does the same, they only document for their records what you buy. As for buying from the RFD in two years I have only bought ammo from them on a handful of occasions due to it being inconvenient to get to which I am hoping might work in my favour as to why I should be able to hold more.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Sim G »

Sc85uk wrote:As for buying from the RFD in two years I have only bought ammo from them on a handful of occasions due to it being inconvenient to get to which I am hoping might work in my favour as to why I should be able to hold more.

I think it would be fair to say you don't have the "good reason" to have your ammunition authority increased. Obviously shooting 2000 rounds a month and you've only bought from your RFD on a handful of occasions, your club can obviously service your requirements and will no doubt be able to satisfy the ammo requirements of those you are introducing.

I wouldn't be too optimistic with your appplication.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#6 Post by Gh0st »

I have just upped my limit to 5000.

Its all about the good reasons.

I have 3 different .22's all used for competition and shot regularly. My justification is each one shoots different ammo, i like to buy in bulk 1000 rounds to keep batches consistent for comps and also to make purchasing more cost effective.

As a committee member i also hold another 2000 rounds to distribute on club nights as required.

Speak with your FEO. I did and submitted my justification in writing.

You will also need to prove you are using them tho as others have said having the entries on your certificate will help this.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#7 Post by TattooedGun »

I'm with Sim G, I don't think you have good reason.

You don't have proof that any of this is an issue and only buying a handful of times is going to be your major downfall. I had the same issue when wanting to increase my allowance, but for batch consistency as I am a county level shooter in target rifle - something specifically mentioned on the home office guidance. but because I'd used club supplied ammo and not had it enterred onto my certificate for over 5 years, the police didn't have any record of me buying ammo and refused.

I appealled along with a list that I had to manually go through all of the range records at the club for a year signed by the secretary in order to get them to change their mind.

Inconvenience that you are not currently feeling is not good reason. you need to provide evidence that it is a problem you need resolving, not a hypothetical one to satisfy 'good reason'.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#8 Post by Andy632 »

daman wrote:I have asked a and been turned down by the Met. My limit is 1200 and I wanted 2000.

The club I mainly shoot at does not enter sales of .22 on the FAC unless it is to be removed from the premises, as I usually buy 100 - 200 at a times and shoot them before leaving I did not have the evidence needed to convince the Met to increase my limit.

So my advice would be get every purchase entered on your FAC and build a good paper trail - I'd guess if you can show proof of buy 1000 ~ 2000 a month they might listen to you.

Yup way to go, get the club ticket holder to enter your purchases every time; won't take long to fill up your ticket.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

I had mine upped to 5k after filling in the ammo table and asking them to renew the cert twice, the second time they told me to add a plain piece of paper with the purchases on and then at renewal they upped it for me.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Andy

#10 Post by Andy »

I'm only allowed 600, 22s. I asked for another 600 when I put in a variation and it was knocked back. I use that amount in one go on a Saturday and can't shoot Sunday as the shops I can buy at are shut. My ticket was also full of 22 sales every week or so.

Do I need to actually write and explain why I'd like more next time I put in a variation? Ironically my mate is allowed 1200 and we applied the same week as each other.
Sick of running out.