First focal plane or second focal plane

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

First focal plane or second focal plane

#1 Post by Alpha1 »

Im going to buy a Vortex Viper probably 6-24x50 in minutes of angle because I have no idea what millrads are.
I will be using it on a .308 out to 600 yards max.
Which one do I buy. FFP or SFP I have no idea what either of them does or what the difference is.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: First focal plane or second focal plane

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Thanks.
If you guys think there is a better alternative I have a budget of £800 pounds. I would value your advice.
Andy

#4 Post by Andy »

I went for a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24×50

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/produ ... iflescope/

Once you add on some decent mounts (£130 vortex matched ) your looking at £700 ISH .
It's second focal plane meaning the lines and hold overs don't get bigger as you zoom in , which I prefer. And as you know the distance your shooting at you don't really need the range finding ease of use you get with first focal plane although you can range find with second focal plane.
I just use the free strelok app to give distance info for scope adjustment.
I'm very happy with mine.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#5 Post by safetyfirst »

Since discovering FFP scopes I don’t want to go back, it’s a luxury for sure though.

Having the holdover points remain relevant no matter the magnification is lovely to have.
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#6 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

If you take the time and learn the scope it makes little difference and is just personal preference.

If you have a calibrated BDC reticle then FFP is far easier as no matter what mag your set at the BDC hold over marks are the same.

If you handload and use different grains of projectile then you can fine tune the hold over points depending on range by adjusting the Mag of the scope with a SFP.

All I can say is whatever you choose get some range time and learn the scope.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

#7 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

This would be worth as look

PRIMARY ARMS GLX4 SERIES 4-16X50 FFP
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

I’d imagine your scope will spend most, if not all your shooting on the range, Dave? Go second focal. The reticle remains fine throughout the magnification range which will give you the precision you’ll want.

First focal plane is probably more desirable in the field with unknown distances.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alpha1

#9 Post by Alpha1 »

Andy wrote:I went for a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24×50

https://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/produ ... iflescope/

Once you add on some decent mounts (£130 vortex matched ) your looking at £700 ISH .
It's second focal plane meaning the lines and hold overs don't get bigger as you zoom in , which I prefer. And as you know the distance your shooting at you don't really need the range finding ease of use you get with first focal plane although you can range find with second focal plane.
I just use the free strelok app to give distance info for scope adjustment.
I'm very happy with mine.
I bought one of these.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#10 Post by Airbrush »

Sim G wrote:I’d imagine your scope will spend most, if not all your shooting on the range, Dave? Go second focal. The reticle remains fine throughout the magnification range which will give you the precision you’ll want.

First focal plane is probably more desirable in the field with unknown distances.
goodjob