Renewal problem with Doctor

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Renewal problem with Doctor

#11 Post by Sim G »

A mate had this issue with Kent. They were recommended a doctor who would write the report for £100 on the basis of reading their notes.

Point here, DO NOT request a copy of your medical records for a report to be written. Your surgery can and will no doubt do, charge you for this. Ask your surgery for a copy of your record under the auspices of GDPR, it is then free.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
walesdave

#12 Post by walesdave »

Hi all

I spoke to the senior FEO at Gwent who said he'd call the GPs and 'get something sorted'. Not sure what this means but anything short of 'here's your renewed FAC' will not be accepted.
I'm not a member of BASC but I'm not a stranger to fighting my corner with Gwent police.....
1st Grant they tried to refuse as I didn't have 5 years UK address history. They were put right and granted my FAC
Over the years:
They tried to refuse a LBP slot as 'Gwent don't do those'....I got it granted
They tried to insist on UKPSA membership for a Sec1 shotgun.....how I laughed......and got 2 slots added for Sec1s without ever joining the UKPSA
They argued a moderator is only for stalking and not for target use.....funny, but after a chat I appear to now have a mod on my target rifle.

Stay polite and respectful....and as long as you are convinced of your case, keep on fighting and never give up.
Christel
Site Admin

#13 Post by Christel »

walesdave

Good to hear they can be "pushed"

:good:
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#14 Post by dodgyrog »

Sim G wrote:A mate had this issue with Kent. They were recommended a doctor who would write the report for £100 on the basis of reading their notes.

Point here, DO NOT request a copy of your medical records for a report to be written. Your surgery can and will no doubt do, charge you for this. Ask your surgery for a copy of your record under the auspices of GDPR, it is then free.
I asked at my surgery and I can get a report for the last 10 years free of charge!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

walesdave wrote:Hi all

I spoke to the senior FEO at Gwent who said he'd call the GPs and 'get something sorted'. Not sure what this means but anything short of 'here's your renewed FAC' will not be accepted.
I'm not a member of BASC but I'm not a stranger to fighting my corner with Gwent police.....
1st Grant they tried to refuse as I didn't have 5 years UK address history. They were put right and granted my FAC
Over the years:
They tried to refuse a LBP slot as 'Gwent don't do those'....I got it granted
They tried to insist on UKPSA membership for a Sec1 shotgun.....how I laughed......and got 2 slots added for Sec1s without ever joining the UKPSA
They argued a moderator is only for stalking and not for target use.....funny, but after a chat I appear to now have a mod on my target rifle.

Stay polite and respectful....and as long as you are convinced of your case, keep on fighting and never give up.
Strewth! I have to say that TVP, despite their slow processing times, have never given me any of that grief - and have been very reasonable to be frank.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Hunter87

#16 Post by Hunter87 »

No win no fee you just have to be brave enough to take them to court.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#17 Post by kennyc »

dodgyrog wrote:
Sim G wrote:A mate had this issue with Kent. They were recommended a doctor who would write the report for £100 on the basis of reading their notes.

I asked at my surgery and I can get a report for the last 10 years free of charge!
I'm pretty sure that isn't what the Police want, they want the Dr to sign off that as far as your records are concerned there are no concerns, obviously the Drs aren't going to do that for free, especially if it can come back to bite them at a later date!
walesdave

#18 Post by walesdave »

Just had a ltter from the FEO stating no Drs letter = no FAC. He's also included a copy of the letter he sent to the GPs.
I'll start a new thread to follow what happens next.
Quick question.....the BASC .pdf that states 'Applicants and certificate holders should not be disadvantaged if their GP does not provide the information needed'...do we know if this line forms part of the guidance to police?
walesdave

#19 Post by walesdave »

Hunter87 wrote:No win no fee you just have to be brave enough to take them to court.
I've got the funds and I'm bloody minded enough if it comes to it ****
Tony-c

#20 Post by Tony-c »

its all a farce anyway, how many of us are really known that well by our Dr?

if they have to write to my surgery then they will be asking someone thats never met me, to give an opinion on me and maybe consult my damn near empty medical records.

will I be penalised for being pretty healthy or just someone that doesnt feel the need to run to the Dr's every time I get the sniffles
just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel.......... I realised it was just my boss with more work and a torch.