Gwent Police FAC Application: GP Process...the fight is on!

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
walesdave

Gwent Police FAC Application: GP Process...the fight is on!

#1 Post by walesdave »

Hi All

As previously noted in another thread, my current FAC and SGC renewal is 'on hold' due to my GP refusing to engage in the medical questionaire process.

I recieved the following letters today:

I'm just typing my reply, but it going to hinge on the Home Office 'Guide on firearms licensing law 2016' -> Annex A: GP and Police Information Sharing Guide: -> Application process: GP input ->
Section 11: .....if the GP fails to respond within 21 days the police will draw the inference that the GP has no concerns.
Section 12: .....If the GP feels unable to participate on the basis of a conscientious objection, or for any other reason, they should refer the patient to a colleague if possible. If no colleague is willing or available, the GP should inform the police immediately that they will not be able to complete the form. In the unlikely event that this arises the police should discuss with the applicant/certificate holder how to obtain adequate medical information. The applicant or certificate holder should not be disadvantaged, nor the application delayed, by a GP’s refusal to provide medical information.

Let's see how this pans out. My money (20 quid down Ladbrooks :good: ) is they'll issue my renewal as soon as I put up a coherant arguement that they are stepping outside of the H.O. guidance. For what it's worth, I'm going to follow this through even if my GP does now engage, purely to get Gwent Police to accept their process is incorrect.
walesdave

Re: Gwent Police FAC Application: GP Process...the fight is

#2 Post by walesdave »

Initial response. Might copy in the local P&CC, not sure yet.....

Gazza

#3 Post by Gazza »

Nice one :good:
If this works then that's their little shenanigans over with lol
I might just send this letter with my renewal to save 21 days lol
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#4 Post by ukrifleman »

walesdave wrote:Initial response. Might copy in the local P&CC, not sure yet.....

Best of luck, well done!

ukrifleman
Dahonis

#5 Post by Dahonis »

We should not have to go to these lengths, its utterly wrong.

It's always a roll of the dice on how each area treats its license holders.
Gazza

#6 Post by Gazza »

The big question is why don't ALL the areas go by the law and not use guidelines which they can use to try and circumvent the law?
That's what they are doing with this doctor malarky, refusing a renewal/grant because the GP has not responded when the law clearly says different.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#7 Post by dromia »

Unfortunately the guidelines are not law, they are just guidelines.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
MistAgain

#8 Post by MistAgain »

dromia wrote:Unfortunately the guidelines are not law, they are just guidelines.
But the guidlines wil lsoon be law , and sections of the guidlines that are helpful to shooters will not be included .
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

MistAgain wrote:
dromia wrote:Unfortunately the guidelines are not law, they are just guidelines.
But the guidlines wil lsoon be law , and sections of the guidlines that are helpful to shooters will not be included .
Exactly, and then, all it will take is an 'unwritten agreement' within to the GP community on 'unwritten advice' from HO, and no-ones FAC's/SGC's will be renewed when the time comes.......end of shooting sports.
MistAgain

#10 Post by MistAgain »

Merseyside are also refusing to process any new or renewal FAC's SGC's or RFD's without a Doctors report .
They have also stated that they will not accept an FOI medical report .
The BASC did say they were looking for someone who was prepared to act as a test case. No ideas who would pay the costs for this though.

Regarding the "Guidelines" , the government has stated that they will have a public consultation on the introduction of "statutory guidance" this summer.

This could mean that whatever the Home Office or whatever ACPO calls itself this year want in the guidance would be law. That is not in our interest and BASC and other bodies should be fighting it .