Specifying calibres on a variation request

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Plecotus
Home club or Range: Monmmouth & District Rifle Club, NRA, Chepstow Rifle Club

Specifying calibres on a variation request

#1 Post by Plecotus »

As a consequence of my growing interest in historic firearms, I am about to request a variation from Gloucestershire Constabulary. I was going to ask for 7.92/8mm and 6.5mm rather than being specific (e.g. 7.92 x 57). In the experience of those here who know way more about this stuff than I do, is that something that's likely to be accepted or will they want it to be more specific?
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Specifying calibres on a variation request

#2 Post by 20series »

It varies from force to force, best option give them a call and ask directly.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
pe4king
Home club or Range: Lydd Rifle Club.

#3 Post by pe4king »

Apply for calibre not the chambering by asking for spcecific chamberings you are limiting your choices and playing into their hands, once you have acquired your firearm that will then authorise your specific ammunition requirements.
I once had a variation for a .30 cal rifle possibility’s were endless
What is a Sapper? This versatile genius condenses the whole system of military engineering and all that is useful and practical. He is a man of all work of the Army and the public ready to do anything or go anywhere, in short, he is a Sapper.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

Do that in Essex and they refuse the caliber you have to say which chambering eg 7.62x 39/51/54r It varies from force to force and we are only over a river from Kent. aaarggh
WelshShooter

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

Something to keep in mind is that some RFD's may be a bit more pedantic than others. For example, if you have a slot for 7.62/308 and you want to buy a Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54, the RFD may refuse to sell you said firearm.

So if you have a specific firearm/calibre in question, it might be worth confirming with both the RFD and licensing force.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

WelshShooter wrote:Something to keep in mind is that some RFD's may be a bit more pedantic than others. For example, if you have a slot for 7.62/308 and you want to buy a Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54, the RFD may refuse to sell you said firearm.

So if you have a specific firearm/calibre in question, it might be worth confirming with both the RFD and licensing force.

I don't think it's a case of being more pedantic, as 7.62/.308 refers to a 7.62x51 NATO or the commercial .308 variant of it.So if someone has a spare 7.62/.308" slot I think an RFD is perfectly justified in not selling them a 7.62x54r or 7.62x39.

West Mercia tend to want the exact chambering, to be honest I've always had a pretty good idea of what I want to buy so I have always put the actual chambering down rather than being vague.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
sclg
Site Supporter 2019
Home club or Range: Pipers Shooting Club

#7 Post by sclg »

I asked Gloucestershire this a couple of years ago when I didn't know if i wanted a 45-70 or 45-90. They said just get a slot for 45 calibre which i did.
When I bought a 45-70 the RFD did query it but was happy when I explained.
Mattnall
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

Read the Guidance Page 70, Para 10.8
HO Guidance to Police wrote:The information will normally need to be specific and not cover a range of calibres or a generic group such as .22 CF (centrefire)
So 8mmMauser should be OK for 7.92x57 but just something like .22"CF to cover .220 to .223 or .30cal to cover 300whisper or 308Win would be right out (although in the past it has been OK or at least accepted by many forces). Metric and Imperial nomenclature for essentially the same cartridge is OK (ie 7.62NATO/308 or .223/5.56NATO etc.).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
42DAF

#9 Post by 42DAF »

snayperskaya wrote:
WelshShooter wrote:Something to keep in mind is that some RFD's may be a bit more pedantic than others. For example, if you have a slot for 7.62/308 and you want to buy a Mosin Nagant in 7.62x54, the RFD may refuse to sell you said firearm.

I don't think it's a case of being more pedantic, as 7.62/.308 refers to a 7.62x51 NATO or the commercial .308 variant of it.So if someone has a spare 7.62/.308" slot I think an RFD is perfectly justified in not selling them a 7.62x54r or 7.62x39.

West Mercia tend to want the exact chambering, to be honest I've always had a pretty good idea of what I want to buy so I have always put the actual chambering down rather than being vague.
So what does a slot for a 308 allow you to buy?
Mattnall
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#10 Post by Mattnall »

42DAF wrote:
So what does a slot for a 308 allow you to buy?
A .308 or 7.62x51 firearm.

I have heard of some RFDs that won't sell you a 7.62NATO chambered rifle on that (.308) slot, but metric/imperial nomenclature for the same cartridge is generally said to be accepted.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.