What are you going to take up to replace shooting?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

What are you going to take up to replace shooting?

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

As the subject.

I am starting to think now, that a) Brexit is not going to happen and b) we will not be seeing a Conservative government next time which means our country will be in the hands of the likes of Corbin and Abbot. I am equally confident Labour will be taking a very close look at shooting outside of direct land owners, therefore do we all need to start thinking about an alternative to shooting?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: What are you going to take up to replace shooting?

#2 Post by safetyfirst »

If I didn’t shoot I’d probably go back to spending more time trying to build a hybrid airship.

I’d probably just start keeping guns elsewhere and perhaps basing my shooting on a few European competitions every year or something.

#3 Post by 1066 »

It's certainly something to think about Dave - I've enjoyed nearly 60 years of all forms of shooting and during that time I've seen it slowly whittled away at the edges but I think you're right, unless we, as shooters can get our act together we're fighting a lost cause. 10m airpistol or air benchrest will probably see me out but it's a sad situation.

I gave up flying when age related medicals started to become an issue, not healthwise but financially. A morning spent up at Gatwick medical centre with the CAA approved quack, the cardiologist, ECG test and treadmill test was over £400. Instead of every couple of years, these sessions become 6 monthly once over 65.

I think I will always find something to do with my hands as long as I still can - possibly restore and old classic British bike, Velocette or maybe a classic twin, BSA A10 or Bonneville?
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#4 Post by shugie »

If we stay in, Labour will have lot more to worry about even if they form a majority government, which I consider highly unlikely. Although one potential partner is the SNP, who seem not to like guns much either. Anyway, getting to the Czech Republic will not become more difficult if we stay in, so I would shoot there.
Other than that, another motorbike could be bought with the compo money, and I'd probably go back to sailing, cruising not racing inshore multihulls.
Careful now/that sort of thing
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#5 Post by WelshShooter »

It's something I don't wanna really think about, being young and only involved in shooting for the past 9 years I'd like to think that I have plenty more years ahead of me.

I'd probably find something technical and fulfilling.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#6 Post by GeeRam »

I think if comrades Corbyn and McDonnell etc end up running the country, loosing our ability to continue shooting will be the very least of our worries..........especially for those of us that are too old to escape to live in foreign lands... :cry:
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Wise words GeeRam.

Allan, I have restored old 30s to 60s 'bikes in the past so it is well worth a look and like you I have the machinery to replicate some of the parts if required. Alternatively, I could always tough it out with my watercolours and we have three working dogs in the house that thrive on hunting and retrieving, even if it is only a dummy.

Now there is a thought, what about my blank fired dummy launcher?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DL.

#8 Post by DL. »

I would buy a winzeler crossbow.

My main interest is bringing on native species of trees. So I do a bit of chainsawing relating to that.

My dog will start ratting this summer.

Other than that I could do with getting better at taking photo's.

Haven't had time for the motorbike for a while now.

#9 Post by 1066 »

Ovenpaa wrote:Wise words GeeRam.

Now there is a thought, what about my blank fired dummy launcher?
Woud need to be compressed air - wouldn't be allowed anything so dangerous as a blank firing launcher.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
AL8

#10 Post by AL8 »

I would go back to pike fishing, which I always fell back on when I had know where to shoot.