Chiappa 9mm straight pull carbine

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Chiappa 9mm straight pull carbine

#1 Post by Sim G »

Was in my local gun shop at the end of last week and the rep from Raytrade was there. I evesdropped his conversation then joined in! Lol.

Apart from some killer Remington deals and a new bottom metal from Lucky 13, most orb the conversation ran around the new Chiappa CBR Straight Pull carbine. Steel and polymer, rails galore with a couple of proprietory twists. Basically, look at the picture of one and imagine a six inch extension of the barrel and a larger, fixed cocking handle and that’s what it should look like.

He hoped they would be in the UK by the autumn and should retail around £1600. Magazines around £60. To give an idea...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OErDoONKi7Q
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
the running man

Re: Chiappa 9mm straight pull carbine

#2 Post by the running man »

I wouldn't get your hopes up,they were supposed to be bringing in made to order by s&w lbrs....... that never happened.
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

If Raytrade say it is happening it will be.They are a good company to deal with and always seem to do what they say they will.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Blackstuff »

Nice, if the longer barrel allows you to keep the retractable stock that would be good. :p

Only thing i REALLY don't like (other than the price!) is the proprietary mags, why oh why not just swallow your pride and use Glock mags :bad: Plus that weird over-arching feed lip looks like its almost guaranteed to snap when you drop the mag on a floor 8-)

Sim - The place you were in sells Lucky 13 stuff? I don't suppose you know if they have their side-saddle for Adler shotguns do you?
DVC
JammyGuns

#5 Post by JammyGuns »

Very cool, though I agree ^ about the mags. On a personal level I already have a couple of Glock mags that I originally bought in prep for getting an LR, before ultimately ending up with the UZI version (would've been nice to finally put them to use in something). I'm not the most knowledgeable on firearms so forgive me if this is a silly question but presumably the normal semi version is a blowback system? How do they go about disabling/removing that for our design? Also while I'm making a fool of myself; would it be possible for a company to do something like this with a 9mm pistol? So basically a long barrel straight pull Glock etc.
Andy

#6 Post by Andy »

Yep, I'd like one of those.
Also curious about the design as it is a blow back. How do they butcher that to be straight pull ?
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#7 Post by safetyfirst »

Presumably they either lock the breech or vent the barrel and either strengthen the bolt return spring or firm up the roller delay?

I’d love to know too!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

Didn't get into the depths as to how they would interrupt the blowback operation, but he did say with the minimal barrel extension to 12", the carbine is still able to keep the collapsing stock and make the 24" OAL required.

Mark, no, there were no Adler parts. He was trying to sell the concept of the Lucky 13 bottom metal which is allegedly a straight drop in for the 700. But, it uses a proprietary magazine. The bottom metal itself seemed thin and not particularly substantial, but the magazines were very well made. But, the last thing any bottom metal is going to use these days with success is a proprietary mag! The industry standard is the AICS now and Lucky 13 mags will retail around £90 in the U.K....!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#9 Post by shugie »

That looks interesting, I'm pondering getting a 9mm straight pull black rifle, and the quirkiness of that appeals to me. It says the "coking" handle is reversible, wonder if that means it could be on the right hand side?
Careful now/that sort of thing