No licence required for ak47's

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
shotgun sam

No licence required for ak47's

#1 Post by shotgun sam »

An article that is in the Daily Mail

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... earms.html
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

Re: No licence required for ak47's

#2 Post by Dellboy »

Essex frown on club exemption certificates and dont like RFD to sell to them ..
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

walesdave

#3 Post by walesdave »

Sent to the D.M.
Let's see if they change the headline at least.....

"Dear Sir / Madam,

I would like to complain about an inaccurate headline on the article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... earms.html

The headline "Loopholes in UK gun laws could allow terrorists to get hold of lethal firearms such as AK47 rifles without a licence" is simply untrue.

The exemption referred to in the headline as a 'loophole' applies only to rifles which fire .22 inch rimfire ammunition which is not the calibre of an AK47 so this makes it impossible for anyone to use the gallery range exemption to buy an AK47 which is a centrefire firearm with a calibre of 7.62mm which is larger than .23 of an inch.

Regards"
James84

#4 Post by James84 »

Instant change:

"Loopholes in UK gun laws could allow terrorists to get hold of lethal firearms which resemble AK47 rifles without a licence or informing police, top officers warn"
shotgun sam

#5 Post by shotgun sam »

James048 wrote:Instant change:

"Loopholes in UK gun laws could allow terrorists to get hold of lethal firearms which resemble AK47 rifles without a licence or informing police, top officers warn"
They were quick enough to change the headline when caught out, typical hack put what they think will get the most publicity
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

Are terrorists usually in the habit of licencing their firearms and informing police before going on a killing spree then?

I'm wondering what self-respecting terrorist would tool up with a footling .22 in order to run amok.
I thought the usual way of doing things was for 'top cops' to have been keeping 'people of interest' under observation for quite some time ...
... only to be taken completely by surprise when the nut kicks off by hiring / pinching a van and flattening a bunch of pedestrians.

"Lessons have been learned."

Again.

I wish these 'top cops' that are so keen to meddle in politics and legislation (instead of feeling collars) would just do it in the approved manner, get elected and become accountable and put forward a bill. Instead they appear to go whining to crappy rags.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
lapua338

#7 Post by lapua338 »

I also moaned at the Daily Mail.

I was outraged at their factually incorrect headline and their asinine journalistic standards.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#8 Post by Daryll »

Strangely , the Grauniad has an almost Pro gun article that someone on FB linked to... its old, but relevant..

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... DBwrj1f0z4
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by 1066 »

walesdave wrote:Sent to the D.M.
Let's see if they change the headline at least.....

"Dear Sir / Madam,

I would like to complain about an inaccurate headline on the article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... earms.html

The headline "Loopholes in UK gun laws could allow terrorists to get hold of lethal firearms such as AK47 rifles without a licence" is simply untrue.

The exemption referred to in the headline as a 'loophole' applies only to rifles which fire .22 inch rimfire ammunition which is not the calibre of an AK47 so this makes it impossible for anyone to use the gallery range exemption to buy an AK47 which is a centrefire firearm with a calibre of 7.62mm which is larger than .23 of an inch.

Regards"
I also made an official complaint to the DM this morning - I see the article has disappeared completely from todays online edition now.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
daman
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: HRPC, NRA, BASC, BDS, Larbert, UKPSA

#10 Post by daman »

Home Office are actively considering the Miniature Rifle Range exemption and may look to change or get rid of the 11/4 exemption certificates.

This would be terrible for many small clubs, and could force some long established clubs to close.

It is mainly down to the irresponsible antics of a particular Essex establishment being broadcast across social media..