What would you reccomend

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
MetalMagus
Home club or Range: Oop Norf....on a need to know basis

What would you reccomend

#1 Post by MetalMagus »

So as someone new to the sport, and given that target shooting of any discipline and distance is my preferred route. What guns would you reccomend for when I get my FAC.

Thanks

Sean

Sent from my SM-G960F using "An application"
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

Re: What would you reccomend

#2 Post by Mattnall »

Would depend upon what discipline(s) you want to shoot. Some rifles are not suited to some disciplines etc.

It's a bit like saying "I have a record player, what records should I buy?"
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

MetalMagus wrote:So as someone new to the sport, and given that target shooting of any discipline and distance is my preferred route. What guns would you reccomend for when I get my FAC.
Given from your profile you haven't joined a club yet, you're getting a little ahead of yourself.

You either need to decide on what discipline(s) you want to shoot and join a club appropriate to those disciplines, or join a club that suits your location or other factors and accept that whatever disciplines they cater for will be the ones you will thus shoot.
BamBam

#4 Post by BamBam »

Any decent club should have a selection of club guns for members to use. Get to grips with everything they have and decide on type to match your favourite discipline. You might like gallery rifle for example and there are various rifles that are best suited to that discipline.
Rockhopper

#5 Post by Rockhopper »

It’s not easy finding a club that’s accepting new members - many seem to have long waiting lists and unless you already know one of the members it can seem like a bit of a closed shop.
Where abouts do you live and how far would you be prepared to travel?
MetalMagus

#6 Post by MetalMagus »

Rockhopper you are correct about it feeling like a closed shop. Based in the north east but I have one or two options knowing a member of a club. Still some have waiting lists and I understand that I may need to wait 6 months plus. Also was given the suggestion of contacting a club in Sunderland on another thread.

I am left handed so that already limits my gun options. So initially wanted to make a list of what to look out for, and get an idea of prices, read reviews, etc to keep me interested. Research cannot hurt.

Sent from my iPad using "An application"
swotty
Home club or Range: FDPC & NRA

#7 Post by swotty »

Being left handed doesn't limit your options. Every gun I've owned has been right handed, you just adapt to them.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using "An application"
Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

Do you know which is your dominant eye?
MetalMagus

#9 Post by MetalMagus »

Left eye dominant Rockhopper
Mattnall
Home club or Range: NRA, Redricks TSC, BS1944RC, HRA

#10 Post by Mattnall »

I'm left handed and started shooting left before the change to the L85. Now I only shoot right handed if the CoF dictates 'weak shoulder'. I shoot an old SMLE in historic comps and can still place when I shoot operating the bolt with the left hand over the action.
There are left handed rifles out there and others that don't really matter if you are left or right handed (and some that there are real advantages operating from the left shoulder). The main issue is with self loaders - wear glasses (which you should anyway for shooting) and you'll not get 'bits' etc in your eyes as the action cycles.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.