New Prohibitions to the offensive weapons act....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: New Prohibitions to the offensive weapons act....

#31 Post by Pippin89 »

1066 wrote:As Sim G said - just "seen to be doing something" - they will never stop. The real problem with this type of legislation is it's being pushed through because of a perceived problem, not in response to a real problem. When the next Home Secretary needs to be seen to be "tough on gun control" to placate some ill informed but loud minority group, what's next? Banning hand loading? Lever actions? Military looking rifles? Licencing air guns?

I really don't know what the answer is - we've lost so much ground over the years and will continue to do so unless there is some sort of cataclysmic shake up in politics and those that control the media.
I fear you are right. The same is happening with political correctness and other phoney vote pullers. It's a very sad time in which there doesnt seem to be many, if any, politicians in this country who push for what they think is right over what they think will get them votes!
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

#32 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

I remember seeing a mechanical extractor type set up about a year ago that was being developed in the US where the trigger action extracted the case and loaded a fresh round. Very similar to a revolver but rounds fed into chamber by a box mag. It looked very complicated and I think it was aimed at California and NJ. IIRC the trigger was very heavy compared to modern high quality triggers and had a very long pull but it shows there are some clever people out there. Cant find details to see if it would be UK legal but I am sure it was over 24" OAL. The actual mechanism prob not UK legal but like I say cant remember the exact details.
BamBam

#33 Post by BamBam »

Pull the trigger and the action moves rearward and extracts the case, picks up next round and chambers it and fires it. A lot of maybes, how will magazine tension affect the feed and how smooth will the trigger be when your finger strength is what extracts the spent cartridge. My finger was knackered after those few goes with dry fire...

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#34 Post by Pippin89 »

I guess the next logical question is, can current firearms be modified to remove the now banned action and convert it to a normal straight pull or similar? This would at least allow owners to keep some prized possessions......
The Event

#35 Post by The Event »

Pippin89 wrote:I guess the next logical question is, can current firearms be modified to remove the now banned action and convert it to a normal straight pull or similar? This would at least allow owners to keep some prized possessions......
Nope. Once a section 5, always a section 5.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#36 Post by 1066 »

BamBam wrote:Pull the trigger and the action moves rearward and extracts the case, picks up next round and chambers it and fires it. A lot of maybes, how will magazine tension affect the feed and how smooth will the trigger be when your finger strength is what extracts the spent cartridge. My finger was knackered after those few goes with dry fire...

Even if I had money to burn, I wouldn't invest any in this idea. To my mind it would be like trying to work a stapler with one finger - same sort of action doing the same sort of job, I just don't think you could supply the necessary energy, for more than a couple of cycles, with one finger one you have more than a couple of rounds in the mag.

You need some sort of external energy supply, if you can't use energy from the cartridge, either gas or recoil or pressured gas from a precharges capsule then what about a spring?

How about:
A short lever in the butt to compress an air rifle type spring, on release this could turn a gear as used on the Giss recoiless system to cycle the action. The gear could have an escapment system to allow it to move forward to release 12th of it's energy - So, one compress of the energy spring would allow 12 repeat shots.

Of course, if after a great deal of expensive research/developement you could eventually come up with a workable idea, the government would just tweak the law to ban them anyway.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
JammyGuns

#37 Post by JammyGuns »

Yep, it'd just be banned in 2 seconds, and probably in such a way whereby we lose even more i.e DA revolvers. Lever release is also legal in Australia and once again, with no evidence or incidents, they're predictably after a ban there also from what Iv'e read. I can't help but change my tune on this now, I used to be "well if it's legal then it's legal" sort of thing, but reality is they hold the power and can just make-up what they want and probably in some further way that hurts the sport even more - so there's some things I think we should stay away from I'm sry to say. This is the first time I'll be losing a firearm.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#38 Post by Pete »

JammyGuns wrote: but reality is they hold the power and can just make-up what they want and probably in some further way that hurts the sport even more
Sad, but so true......................

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Hunter87

#39 Post by Hunter87 »

bradaz11 wrote:problem is gazza, because you now can't use gas to do anything, how are these levers able to do anything? you could put a dirty great big spring holding the bolt closed, to make the lever shut the bolt, but how do you open it?
same as a spring holding it open, what do you do to close it? motorise it? add on a co2 bottle to toggle the bolt open and closed with an arduino equipped triger?
the only thing you might be able to do is use some sort of recoil operated mech, but recoil is a product of the gas, as no gas, no bullet out barrel, and that means no recoil. Depends how pedantic they are on whether it is gas or not.
fire - reset - fire type rail guns are still legal though, so that's something... just need to get the tech to work :)

I think this just means we need a better design of straightpull, maybe one that has a trigger on the cocking piece.
It makes no difference what you try to design or how much money you put into making something as a get around as soon as you have it working they will adjust the laws again and ban it too.
Hunter87

#40 Post by Hunter87 »

bradaz11 wrote:actually, thinking about this, get some highspeed linear actuator (LA) or air ram could work.... imagine the front of the bolt is exactly the same, firing pin etc. but add it to the end of a piston... rest of the ram or LA goes in the buffer tube. you fire, gun shoots. you press switch near trigger, it drives to then retract bolt, extracts case in normal way, reaches end microswitch, then drives straight forward again, stripping round off mag, and loading into breech. where trigger is then used to fire normally again.
no propellant gas used, might not even need to lock the breech
you'd need a power source of some sort though
Inriched plutonium should do as a power source I think I have some in the shed.