New Prohibitions to the offensive weapons act....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: New Prohibitions to the offensive weapons act....

#21 Post by Sim G »

DL. wrote: Whatever you do, don't say on here that you agree with the act, that would make you immediately controversial on a shooting forum.

That’s because the Act is nothing more than a cynical attempt by a beleaguered Home Office to attempt to be seen as “doing something”. Again, people are being penalised for the actions of the few. How anyone can see that as a good idea is beyond me.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
lapua338

#22 Post by lapua338 »

To ban firearms and/or restrict ownership because of a perceived notion that criminals and terrorists may use them is indistinguishable from instructing the law-abiding citizen that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct but entirely conditional on the behaviour of the criminal.
shotgun sam

#23 Post by shotgun sam »

If by the worst scenario case we remain in the EU and after 2020 when all our laws will be dictated by Brussels them we can go to the EU courts and say we are being discriminated against as semi auto rifles and pistols are legal in other EU countries, our human rights are being violated.
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Chapuis

#24 Post by Chapuis »

shotgun sam wrote:If by the worst scenario case we remain in the EU and after 2020 when all our laws will be dictated by Brussels them we can go to the EU courts and say we are being discriminated against as semi auto rifles and pistols are legal in other EU countries, our human rights are being violated.
Then you would be asking the EU to change laws that they have already passed. The EU set minimum standards years ago with the proviso that individual states could impose more draconian measures if they so wished, hence the current situation where self loading centrefire rifles and pistols are severely restricted almost to the point of a total ban in the majority of the U.K.
Somehow unfortunately I can't see that one being a starter.
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#25 Post by waterford103 »

bradaz11 wrote:problem is gazza, because you now can't use gas to do anything, how are these levers able to do anything? you could put a dirty great big spring holding the bolt closed, to make the lever shut the bolt, but how do you open it?
same as a spring holding it open, what do you do to close it? motorise it? add on a co2 bottle to toggle the bolt open and closed with an arduino equipped triger?
the only thing you might be able to do is use some sort of recoil operated mech, but recoil is a product of the gas, as no gas, no bullet out barrel, and that means no recoil. Depends how pedantic they are on whether it is gas or not.
fire - reset - fire type rail guns are still legal though, so that's something... just need to get the tech to work :)

I think this just means we need a better design of straightpull, maybe one that has a trigger on the cocking piece.
How about an underlever but at the front operating against the recoil spring but having a "cammed" position at the start to aid extraction and a release at the end of downward stroke , so it it would be lever down , full cycle to extract , then as the underlever hits bottom of stroke the bolt is released to charge the chamber with a cartridge and the underlever returned to it's start position.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#26 Post by Airbrush »

What enterprising individual/company is going to spend hours & thousands of £ of R&D on any new cycling mechanisms after this s*** show???
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#27 Post by Pippin89 »

bradaz11 wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:Ah ok now it makes sense.... so it seems MARS action were a way around the semi auto laws and made something almost as quick in larger calibre. This law is outlawing those weapons. Makes sense now. Thanks!!
no, they were a design of firearm that met with the current laws. the speed of their operation is not great and they are not designed to be fast.
they are not weapons, they are firearms.
glad that a lot of us loosing our lawfully held property makes sense to you
You seem to be misinterpreting my use of the term "makes sense". I meant I now understand the difference between a semi auto and the action that is affected by the new law! As you will note from my original question I didn't know what it was that was being outlawed. Little quick to jump to a conclusion there!!

And yes I need to get out of the habit of saying weapon. As an air cadet in my youth we were forced to call them weapons and not "guns".... I guess that's the difference with a military firearm and a civilian one!
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#28 Post by Pippin89 »

Gazza wrote:Calling all engineers........
Two levers, one to load and one to extract. The extract lever also operates the loading lever of the next round.
Sorted :good:
Luckily I am an engineer.... I can't say I have any experience designing firearms though... Train suspension I can do!! haha lol
Gazza

#29 Post by Gazza »

Pippin89 wrote:
Gazza wrote:Calling all engineers........
Two levers, one to load and one to extract. The extract lever also operates the loading lever of the next round.
Sorted :good:
Luckily I am an engineer.... I can't say I have any experience designing firearms though... Train suspension I can do!! haha lol
That's near enough :D
Site Supporter Since 2015

#30 Post by 1066 »

As Sim G said - just "seen to be doing something" - they will never stop. The real problem with this type of legislation is it's being pushed through because of a perceived problem, not in response to a real problem. When the next Home Secretary needs to be seen to be "tough on gun control" to placate some ill informed but loud minority group, what's next? Banning hand loading? Lever actions? Military looking rifles? Licencing air guns?

I really don't know what the answer is - we've lost so much ground over the years and will continue to do so unless there is some sort of cataclysmic shake up in politics and those that control the media.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com