Another Fuess, now what to do with it?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

Re: Another Fuess, now what to do with it?

#11 Post by Gundog »

FredB wrote:
ScopeRHS (2).JPG
I have four of these early German scopes. One has claw mounts. I have bases, but they are not quite correct for the scope. I could manufacture bases if I had a suitable rifle to put it on.
The second is on my BSA 22 pump action. Thsi is one of a special edition produced in the 1930s. Jim Hallam had one in its original case, but I don't know if he still has it. These little 22s were fitted with every imaginable sight: a scope with windage adjustment in the mounts, which are claw mounts and so it is instantly removeable, A BSA number 8 folding aperture sight and a set of British folding leaf big game sights, which are totally useless.
The third scope is contained in a one piece mount, again with windage adjustment built in, which fits the rib on my Buechel Meister schuetzen rifle. Scopes were not used in German schuetzen competitions and so I assume that it was originally made for a hunting derivative of the Schuetzen pattern rifles.
The fourth scope is on a German boar rifle in 8.15 x 46R. It is also fitted in windage adjustable mounts.
I would love to see theBSA pump put together I bet it looks ace! They certainly went to town with the amount of rear sights they utilised, BSA no 8, express rifle sights, mounted scope, sights for any occasion, it looks as though the rear mount on the BSA pump scope is just above the ejector port, to give the correct eye relief.
You say the third scope is contained in a one piece mount, is the mount marked AKah?
Gundog

#12 Post by Gundog »

Ovenpaa wrote:German metres by this time. Interestingly Danish open sights used to be graduated in ‘Els’

Ultimately what are you going to do with your scope, and what rifle are you thinking of using it on, it should be put to its original use ??

I know that you don’t want to create a clone but it is period and should be fitted to a period rifle, so many scopes are either miss used or go into a collection.
Gundog

#13 Post by Gundog »

“Another thought”

Today in the English gun trade all bespoke guns are regulated in yards as in days gone by, never in metres (ok you got me on my miss spelling meters) even for clients from Europe, so the thought occurred to me if our SMLE’s were sighted in yards during the Great War and our opponents were one hundred yards away would our opponents who were sighted in ‘metres’ be shooting high ?

Stupid question?
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#14 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:German metres by this time. Interestingly Danish open sights used to be graduated in ‘Els’
And Imperial Russian iron sights were marked in 'Arshins'.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

No makers name on the mount for the Schuetzen rifle.
Fred
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#16 Post by FredB »

The BSA pump with the scope mounted is towards the top of this pile.
Fred
Attachments
resizecoll.jpg
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#17 Post by Ovenpaa »

Nice collection there Fred.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#18 Post by Ovenpaa »

Gundog wrote:Ultimately what are you going to do with your scope, and what rifle are you thinking of using it on, it should be put to its original use ??

I know that you don’t want to create a clone but it is period and should be fitted to a period rifle, so many scopes are either miss used or go into a collection.
Well I could put it on top of a G98 as it should be, however this means dovetailing the front ring of the receiver and drilling the rear so it would never be original after that which means in the eyes of some the rifle has been wrecked. Interestingly, the people who howl about such travesties seldom mention the mass of firearms that are deactivated on a daily basis...

What I dislike is such things just sitting in draws never being used or handled as they were intended. Having said that, the chances of finding an original G98 sniper at an affordable price and minus the glass is about zero here in the UK.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#19 Post by Ovenpaa »

I suppose I could always add it to 'Project Rascal' that way nothing of value is lost although it does mean I would have to move the rings to new positions.
IMG_4921.JPG
/d

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#20 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:I suppose I could always add it to 'Project Rascal' that way nothing of value is lost although it does mean I would have to move the rings to new positions.
IMG_4921.JPG
I like the look of that :good:, you could shoot the target and set it on fire at the same time!.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!