Another Fuess, now what to do with it?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gundog
Home club or Range: Morecambe Rifle & Pistol Club. Sedbergh Shooting Club.

Re: Another Fuess, now what to do with it?

#21 Post by Gundog »

FredB wrote:No makers name on the mount for the Schuetzen rifle.
Fred

Thank you for your reply FredB that’s a shame I just thought it could have been one of their mounts!
Gundog

#22 Post by Gundog »

FredB wrote:The BSA pump with the scope mounted is towards the top of this pile.
Fred
Thank you again Fred for the photo showing the BSA Pump action, I knew it would look great (ace)!
Lovely collection of rifles, 310 Cadet, Rook & Rabbit, Greener take down, Rolling block etc etc, a rifle for most disciplines, or any occasion, even down to the Martini action with sound moderator, fab.
Gundog

#23 Post by Gundog »

Ovenpaa wrote:
Gundog wrote:Ultimately what are you going to do with your scope, and what rifle are you thinking of using it on, it should be put to its original use ??

I know that you don’t want to create a clone but it is period and should be fitted to a period rifle, so many scopes are either miss used or go into a collection.
Well I could put it on top of a G98 as it should be, however this means dovetailing the front ring of the receiver and drilling the rear so it would never be original after that which means in the eyes of some the rifle has been wrecked. Interestingly, the people who howl about such travesties seldom mention the mass of firearms that are deactivated on a daily basis...

What I dislike is such things just sitting in draws never being used or handled as they were intended. Having said that, the chances of finding an original G98 sniper at an affordable price and minus the glass is about zero here in the UK.

One alternative is to find a G98 that has already been butchered, renovate slightly, maybe sporterise, (I dislike that expression) or use the scope on something completely insane as per your photograph!!( meant with the greatest respect).

As I have said earlier a scope such as this looks absolutely great on a period rifle, maybe a Rook rifle so long as it’s not one of the more expensive ones unless of course you can afford one, by adding such a scope there are details you can use a scoped rifle for in competition. I used an original Westley Richards Rook & Rabbit rifle with an Aldis scope planted on top looked absolutely fabulous.

As you said the scope is of very little use sat in a drawer, in would sit extremely nice on a period German sporting rifle!
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#24 Post by FredB »

The martini does not have a sound moderator: it is a barrel weight. This is one that I sold to a fellow club member and now wish that I hadn't.
The rifle is another 310, but a rook rifle rather than a cadet. It is in mint condition and the barrel weight came with it. I always found that it shot better with it fitted, but the current owner does not.
Fred
Gundog

#25 Post by Gundog »

My mistake whilst viewing all those great rifles, personally never used any rifle with a barrel weight.
I dare say most of us regret letting certain objects slip from our grasp, also there are the other regrets that we didn’t purchase that object when we had the chance, one of many mistakes we make in our lifetime.

Rook and Rabbit rifles was another mistake for me the mistake being that I didn’t start collecting them earlier, we were more concerned about pistol shooting.