Double claw scope mount bases

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

Double claw scope mount bases

#1 Post by Ncb2734 »

Hi all,

I picked up the scope in the picture but need a set of double claw bases for it. Where would I be able to get a reasonably priced set of mounts please.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190519_014726_com.whatsapp.jpg
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Double claw scope mount bases

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Nick, the chances of finding a matching pair of bases, regardless of price are incredibly slim. You might find something close however they need to be fitted very precisely, plus the front claw bases to match a 'scope of this age may well have been dovetailed into the receiver ring for fine adjustment.

Best thing is get a piece of suitable steel and start filing, literally! I am in the process of making a pair however I am roughing the material out with a mill. The front is easy enough, the rear not so.

Back to your question, eBay DE and .com
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chapuis

#3 Post by Chapuis »

As Ovenpaa has already indicated the chances of picking up a pair of the correct matching bases is slim because there are/were several manufacturers of such bases and all varied quite a bit.
Also the cost is likely to be considerable but if you are serious about getting suitable bases have a word with Irwin who is Alan Rhone's gunsmith and a very knowledgeable and helpful chap.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes, good point about Irwin, he would be a good place to start and may even have some base blanks.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

#5 Post by Ncb2734 »

Thanks guys. May well keep her as a momento. Everything works beautifully. And the clarity is amazing for its age.