Brownells UK franchise...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Brownells UK franchise...

#11 Post by Sim G »

Yep, and as per my illustration above, it must be so much cheaper to ship stuff to Germany than to the UK as the illustrative trigger unit is £92.00 cheaper in Germany. Or is it that...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
RDC

#12 Post by RDC »

They have opened a retail unit that deals in returned stock and other stuff including firearms, apparently.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

Is that not a throw back to when the franchisees were then MidwayUK? I’ve also heard that Marlin Spares and Riflemags UK are also connected to the same people....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#14 Post by bradaz11 »

I'm not sure riflemags are the same people - excellent service, fast, cheap postage and decent prices - does that sound like the same people??
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

bradaz11 wrote:I'm not sure riflemags are the same people - excellent service, fast, cheap postage and decent prices - does that sound like the same people??
No it does not! Riflemags are my go to for mags at decent prices - and rapidly arrive.

I haven't used Brownells more than once since Midway USA were no longer accessible.

As Sim G's example shows - it's actually more economical for me to make a list of stuff I need and bring it back in my checked luggage that to buy via Brownells. OFTEN the savings have paid for my flight to Seattle and back.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

Dark Skies wrote: As Sim G's example shows - it's actually more economical for me to make a list of stuff I need and bring it back in my checked luggage that to buy via Brownells. OFTEN the savings have paid for my flight to Seattle and back.

And once you go for good, we need to exchange addresses! I’ll send you Yorkshire tea and Marmite, you send me “stuff”!!! :p cheers lol lol lol

Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#17 Post by Les »

Ncb2734 wrote:
1066 wrote:I was under the impression they were now some sort of drop shipper - carry virtually nothing actually in stock, just order it in from Brownells US and cream a hefty lump off the top.
You are correct
BROWNELLS UK
DELIVERY SCHEDULE

All orders are shipped from Brownells USA, we aim to achieve 5-7 days delivery from dispatch but we ask to allow 7-10 days.
All retail prices include duty, VAT and excise. You will not be charged additional import duties.
That's a very valid point. I bought a Skinner peep sight for my Henry direct from their USA site. I can't remember the exact price, but with a few spare screws etc it came to around £120. When it arrived, I faced an £8 "handling" charge from the Post Office, as well as a £28 import duty.

Never again! 5mith

Brownells are pricey, but at least the price you see is the price you'll pay. ;)
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#18 Post by Geek »

[quote="Sim G"]Does anyone still actually use Brownells UK? Particularly in the days of the t’interweb? I’m looking for a new trigger for my 10/22. Did some research and decided on a Timney unit. Brownells UK, £389. Spud 1967 £250. Hannams £255. And even Brownells Germany who “ship throughout EU, 337 euros, which is 297 quid on today’s exchange rate!!![/quo

For 10/22 parts I have used:

https://www.valmontfirearms.net/gun-parts-upgrades

The Timney trigger is £253.50 here

Or

https://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#19 Post by Blackstuff »

Les wrote: That's a very valid point. I bought a Skinner peep sight for my Henry direct from their USA site. I can't remember the exact price, but with a few spare screws etc it came to around £120. When it arrived, I faced an £8 "handling" charge from the Post Office, as well as a £28 import duty.

Never again! 5mith

Brownells are pricey, but at least the price you see is the price you'll pay. ;)
Its £12 now!!! I had to pay £15 Import VAT and Parcelforce charged me £12 for them to pay that VAT and get it released from customs, cheers(!)

With Brownells a good thing to do is set up and account then create a 'Shopping List' which you can things to/take them off. I've got a load of stuff on there and just have a look at it every few days as the prices do fluctuate and if you can time it with one of the frequent promotions you can end up with a bargain. A while back i got a load of 15-22 mags for £20 a pop and got a Vortex Strike Eagle (1-6x) for £240 for a friend when everyone elses prices had jumped to the £300 range.

I have noticed that their triggers are seriously over priced though when i've been looking in the past.
DVC
James84

#20 Post by James84 »

I have bought quite a few things off Brownells UK, mainly ITAR 'stuff' that I can't/don't want to fly with.

As others have said, try and wait for the sales, but you have to take remember that the import charges and tax are in the price you pay already. Once you think about that, it isn't quite as bad.

I have bought things from Midway that cost me an arm and a leg once they arrive in the UK due to all the extra charges.

I do a work trip over there every year and tend to wait for that buy ITAR items are a no no to travel with, so I follow the rules and go through Brownells. That is another price/cost to factor in that Brownells cover in the price - ITAR export licences etc.