The UK's Finest Independent Forum for Shooters and Gun Owners. Est 2010.

Supporting all legal firearm owners, collectors, enthusiasts, shooters and competitors by promoting and encouraging legitimate gun ownership and use in the UK through unity, advocacy and discussion.
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:26 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.

Post subject: Hawke scopes
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:50 pm 

Home club or Range: Yorkshire shooting centre
Hi all just wondering if anybody as bought a Hawke scope in the cheaper range ie 6-24 magnification , I know people say spend loads on a scope but would rather put towards another rifle, so wondering how you find these scopes, clarity of lens and any issues. I will be shooting 100 metres but if possible would love to go shoot further when club members have another outing in the future.
Even any other lenses you have bought on the cheap and highly recommend would be a bonus info for future ref.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Hawke scopes
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:59 pm 

I have used them on full bore rifles, short range is fine for me but they loose clarity at longer distances.
Try before you buy as not everyone can get on with them

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:06 pm 

Forget to mention it will be for 17hmr 223 243 cal rifles , our club sells them so I will try them out. So many scopes out there but some are very pricey.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 7:57 pm 
Site Supporter Since 2015

Home club or Range: WDRPC
Hawke scopes are great value for money, and their lifetime guarantee is excellent too. Most of their 'budget' scopes should be ideal for around 100 - 150 yards, but as already suggested, it is always a good idea to try-before-you-buy if you can. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 8:00 pm 
Past Supporter

Home club or Range: Rossendale Fusiliers and Diggle Range
I have two Hawke scopes on my rimfire rifles, however, I am not sure that I would use them on a centre fire rifle (they may be fine).

Geek

If you make everything idiot proof, evolution will just make a better idiot!

AI AT (.308), Ruger Precision Rifle (6.5CM), 10/22 and American Rimfire (.22LR), Steyr Aug, Marlin underlever .38/.357, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:15 pm 
Site Supporter 2019

Attachment:
SDC19954.JPG
SDC19954.JPG [ 460.95 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]
Attachment:
SDC19958.JPG
SDC19958.JPG [ 455.95 KiB | Viewed 341 times ]
I had 3-9x40 Hawke Frontier on my K31 for a couple of years. I have now replaced it with a 5-15x50 Endurance SF with 1/2 mildot IR.

Both handled the recoil of the 7.5x55 round with no issues.

They are excellent value with very good optics for the money.

I have used the Endurance out to 800 yards and found it performed well.

ukrifleman

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 10:31 pm 

If you want a Chinese scope then the Hawke is a decent Chinese scope. There are other Chinese scopes which are cheaper and just as good.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 5:32 am 

ukrifleman wrote:
Attachment:
SDC19954.JPG
Attachment:
SDC19958.JPG
I had 3-9x40 Hawke Frontier on my K31 for a couple of years. I have now replaced it with a 5-15x50 Endurance SF with 1/2 mildot IR.

Both handled the recoil of the 7.5x55 round with no issues.

They are excellent value with very good optics for the money.

I have used the Endurance out to 800 yards and found it performed well.

ukrifleman

Wow fantastic gun you have would love to shoot one of those, had a go with a club members Mosin–Nagant and yes they do kick, if it can handle that then I am good to go, just need to read up about all the different extra like the parallax adjustment what ever that does and all the rest , most things are now made in china if the design is right then the Chinese can do a good job , lets face it iPhones are made there and own a fantastic British speaker thats made there so no problems with made in china.

ukrifleman glad someone else is into military rifles I am hoping to buy an enfield such a great gun to shot but will shoot this with iron sights so thats one less scope to buy lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:40 am 
Site Supporter Since 2016

Parallax adjustment is an important feature if you want to shoot longer distances accurately. Adjusting parallax essentially puts the target and reticle on the same image plane. Why is this important? Once you have parallax set you can move your head up and down on the cheek rest slightly and the reticle will stay on target. If parallax is not set, then the reticle will wander if you move your head slightly. This means your shots could miss your target even though your reticle is on target.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:19 am 

WelshShooter wrote:
Parallax adjustment is an important feature if you want to shoot longer distances accurately. Adjusting parallax essentially puts the target and reticle on the same image plane. Why is this important? Once you have parallax set you can move your head up and down on the cheek rest slightly and the reticle will stay on target. If parallax is not set, then the reticle will wander if you move your head slightly. This means your shots could miss your target even though your reticle is on target.

Great info, only joined a couple of days ago and feel like I am learning more, I am sure the Hawke with this adjustment is not much more then the one without so seems worth the extra.