9mm LR & MARS - Grandfathered in.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

Re: 9mm LR & MARS - Grandfathered in.....

#11 Post by Racalman »

Judging by the rate of fire I was hearing on Short Siberia this afternoon I reckon someone was trying to wear out their LR before handing it in ;)
Christel
Site Admin

#12 Post by Christel »

Yup, yesterday at North Cotes Butts someone was exactly that, trying to wear it out.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

Sixshot6 wrote:Not to sound harsh but how head in the sand can you get?
That's nothing compared to some of the older members of my club, who are stuck in the UK shooting world of circa 1998/9.
RDC

#14 Post by RDC »

GeeRam wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:Not to sound harsh but how head in the sand can you get?
That's nothing compared to some of the older members of my club, who are stuck in the UK shooting world of circa 1998/9.
Agreed.
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

#15 Post by Ncb2734 »

Racalman wrote:Judging by the rate of fire I was hearing on Short Siberia this afternoon I reckon someone was trying to wear out their LR before handing it in ;)

I was on the 200m metre point yesterday. The fire must have been minted or had too much ammo to get rid of. When it was my turn to mark our Lane, I spoke to the guy marking in his lane. He said it was pointless after a while as it turned into a blatt fest, but the owner was having his last fun time with it until it was gone....
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#16 Post by Alan D »

What a pointless ban ... I have to say though, I think the trigger release VZ58 was the tipping point...

A real shame as interrupted semi actions were never a danger to public safety in my opinion.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#17 Post by Sim G »

The lever release was caught up in a no doubt very specific “risk assessment” that highlighted the MARS. Lever release ended up being collateral damage.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
JammyGuns

#18 Post by JammyGuns »

I agree the MARS was the tipping point but they've been grumbling about the LR since its release and no doubt would've got to it in the near future. Even the aesthetics of the SGC LR and MARS VZ vs something like the Verney Carron option - the former look scary whereas the latter doesn't. Completely illogical of course. As for "rapid fire" I'm not even sure what that is, I have yet to see it defined. They're definitely faster than some bolts and straight pulls, but are still nowhere near that of a real semi going 'all out'. Problem is you daren't use that in your argument, you daren't say that something like "X" can also be cycled "fast" because you know the result won't bolster your argument but only lead to something else potentially getting banned. But anyway, yeah, what's done is done.

Have seen the last of my 9mm off now on a private underground range - had a lot of fun but of course it was bittersweet. Would definitely keep it if I could over the compensation any day personally.
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#19 Post by Alan D »

An old friend of mine showed me a video on his phone a few years back of him " rapid firing" his trigger release VZ58.....

I said to him at the time, Don't bloody post it online, as it will be yet another nail in the coffin for interrupted semi's, putting them firmly on the radar of the already unhappy powers that be.

I would say the moment the trigger release VZ58 was released, the writing was on the wall for all of them, it was just a matter of time unfortunately.

Plus possibly throwing our .22 semi autos under the bus along with them.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#20 Post by Dellboy »

Alan D wrote:An old friend of mine showed me a video on his phone a few years back of him " rapid firing" his trigger release VZ58.....

I said to him at the time, Don't bloody post it online, as it will be yet another nail in the coffin for interrupted semi's, putting them firmly on the radar of the already unhappy powers that be.

I would say the moment the trigger release VZ58 was released, the writing was on the wall for all of them, it was just a matter of time unfortunately.

Plus possibly throwing our .22 semi autos under the bus along with them.

i think (sadly) the writing was on the wall the day someone worked out a way around the semi auto ban , someones noses were firmly put out and a few years later they have their revenge .
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.