9mm LR & MARS - Grandfathered in.....

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

9mm LR & MARS - Grandfathered in.....

#1 Post by HH1 »

I was shooting a 3 gun competition the other night and chatting to various people and again someone mentioned "That there is talk of LR's & MARS being Grandfathered in".......

I'd love to know where these rumours are coming from, because after reading the details of the Bill, it is a very clear that they have been banned. We are just waiting now for the surrender / compensation arrangements to be introduced.

Even club members with 9mm lever-release rifles keep coming out with talk of "Grandfather rights" and then asking me for the latest information as I seem to be in the know.

Seems odd to me that owners of these rifles are so blasé or unable to do their own research.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

Re: 9mm LR & MARS - Grandfathered in.....

#2 Post by Airbrush »

As a .223 LR owner personally I'd rather have decent compensation than keep it under grandfather rights.
Rockhopper

#3 Post by Rockhopper »

It just shows how difficult it is to get news out there and to gather enough people together to form a united response to things like this.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#4 Post by Sixshot6 »

HH1 wrote:I was shooting a 3 gun competition the other night and chatting to various people and again someone mentioned "That there is talk of LR's & MARS being Grandfathered in".......

I'd love to know where these rumours are coming from, because after reading the details of the Bill, it is a very clear that they have been banned. We are just waiting now for the surrender / compensation arrangements to be introduced.

Even club members with 9mm lever-release rifles keep coming out with talk of "Grandfather rights" and then asking me for the latest information as I seem to be in the know.

Seems odd to me that owners of these rifles are so blasé or unable to do their own research.
Did you show them the text of the bill and they couldn't even do a google search on the offical parliament website? Not to sound harsh but how head in the sand can you get?
the running man

#5 Post by the running man »

Rockhopper wrote:It just shows how difficult it is to get news out there and to gather enough people together to form a united response to things like this.
Nobody cares.....shooters make up less than 1% of the UK population.......the latest stuff gone is just the beginning....
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#6 Post by Alan D »

I can't see any truth in this rumour. It would leave a potential foot in the door for a future attempt to re introduce some form of interrupted semi automatic.

They are all being moved to Sec 5 unfortunately.

The only previous case I can think of, where "grandfather rights" have been used in UK Firearms legislation, was the air cartridge revolver debacle of 2004.

In that case, all air rifles and pistols using the SCGC system were moved to Sec5, with the caveat that they could be be retained on a Sec1 certificate, but not sold or given away.

They must be surrendered and destroyed when the FAC is given up.
HH1
Home club or Range: PSA

#7 Post by HH1 »

Sixshot6 wrote: Did you show them the text of the bill and they couldn't even do a google search on the offical parliament website? Not to sound harsh but how head in the sand can you get?
I shoot at 3 clubs.... the two where members are clueless are underground so its not possible to get a internet connection. I have printed info out in the past for the club secretaries. The one club were I can get an internet connection is better informed than me.... as we have a recently retired BASC FireArms Officer.
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#8 Post by mr smith »

Airbrush wrote:As a .223 LR owner personally I'd rather have decent compensation than keep it under grandfather rights.
I'm the same with my 9mm,I was actually about to put it up far sale when this all first kicked off about 18 months ago making it pretty much unsellable. My thumb and it don't get on and have great difficulty in making work works fine for others.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

Would've 100% kept mine if Grandfathering had been an option but sadly it is not.

Get 3 people in a room, tell them all the same story and a day later they'll all have a different version of it, its the same in all walks of life/clubs/groups of people. And there are people out their that intentionally make things up just for a bit of attention/something to talk about, bizarre. 5mith
DVC
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#10 Post by Dellboy »

Better to take compensation now rather than own a worthless gun
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.