Brownells UK franchise...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sim G
Past Supporter

Brownells UK franchise...

#1 Post by Sim G »

Does anyone still actually use Brownells UK? Particularly in the days of the t’interweb? I’m looking for a new trigger for my 10/22. Did some research and decided on a Timney unit. Brownells UK, £389. Spud 1967 £250. Hannams £255. And even Brownells Germany who “ship throughout EU, 337 euros, which is 297 quid on today’s exchange rate!!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Brownells UK franchise...

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

I haven't used them for a while. I always found their prices much higher than other websites (as you demonstrated above!) but they have a large catalogue so may have some items which you would struggle to find elsewhere.

Have you seen the price on bullets and brass on there?!?
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#3 Post by Daryll »

I used Brownells for the first time a few weeks ago.... I wanted to fit a peep sight to a Rossi underlever and found a website that had done it, and included everything that was needed.... the drill bit and tap were of course american sizes, so it was a choice of some cheap chinese tools from Ebay, or to order them from the US via Brownells.
RDC

#4 Post by RDC »

I only use them when there is a decent sale on. Occasionally there is a 20% off weekend like Black Friday.

There are a couple of UK stores that claim to have items in stock, but will leave you hanging for 6 months, if not a year... all the while dodging phone calls and emails asking where the item is... At least with Brownells you know it will come in a decent timescale if they say they have it in stock.
MrD

#5 Post by MrD »

As stated above, they are good for bits that aren't easy to source in the UK and bits that other sources in US don't seem to want to ship over here.

Obviously, if you can source things cheaper, then you'd be mad to pay the premium. Like anything else, you need to shop around first.

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
Ballistol

#6 Post by Ballistol »

Firstly, I do try to support U.K. dealers, but sometimes they just don’t have access to the bits i want.
I do occasionally use Brownells, exclusively when they have a decent discount offer running.
They have access to items that I just can’t find elsewhere, and can offer a way around the inevitable ITAR argument that you continually encounter from US retailers.
Plus, if they say they have it, you will get it. Unlike some U.K. based operations who don’t have it, but say they can get it no problem and either take an age or lose interest.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Yes, I use them as a trade customer.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

Ovenpaa wrote:Yes, I use them as a trade customer.

Back when you could use the US site, I also qualified for their “Law enforcement discount”. That finished when the UK franchise took over. Once a month stuff would come from Montezuma!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by 1066 »

I was under the impression they were now some sort of drop shipper - carry virtually nothing actually in stock, just order it in from Brownells US and cream a hefty lump off the top.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Ncb2734
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Spires rifle and pistol - Classic and Historic - NRA

#10 Post by Ncb2734 »

1066 wrote:I was under the impression they were now some sort of drop shipper - carry virtually nothing actually in stock, just order it in from Brownells US and cream a hefty lump off the top.

You are correct

BROWNELLS UK

DELIVERY SCHEDULE

All orders are shipped from Brownells USA, we aim to achieve 5-7 days delivery from dispatch but we ask to allow 7-10 days.
All retail prices include duty, VAT and excise. You will not be charged additional import duties.