Eyesight correction & shooting

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
datalore
Home club or Range: CRC

Eyesight correction & shooting

#1 Post by datalore »

By any chance has anyone here had permanent lens replacement surgery?

I'm contemplating it as an alternative to laser eye surgery and would like to know if anyone has had issues shooting afterwards - especially using aperture sights.

Ta & rgds
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

Re: Eyesight correction & shooting

#2 Post by Plumose »

I have had and think it is great especially as my prescription was too strong to be suitable for laser surgery.

As I shoot scoped I can comment on the aperture sights issue, but with scopes I just had to adjust the focus of the scope to get the reticile clear and keep shooting.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#3 Post by Racalman »

I had my lenses replaced a couple of years ago as cataracts were starting to develop and interfered with my shooting.

I had a distance lens in my left (dominant) eye and -1 dioptre (= 1 metre) in my right (shooting) eye.

This allows me to see a foresight clearly and most scopes will provide around +/- 2 dioptres of focus adjustment.
andrew375

#4 Post by andrew375 »

One of the members of a club I belong to has just had her lenses replaced and she shoots small bore with aperture sights. She now is having some difficulty seeing the front sight. This is because the lens are set for focus at 10 metres to infinity. This means anything beyond 10 metres will be in sharp focus but below that the focus will gradually drift. For most uses this just requires reading glasses, on the plus side the prescription wont alter. What you will have to do is find an optician who knows about shooting and have a corrective lense made to go inside your rear sight aperture that is focused on the front sight.
"Consciousness is a lie your brain tells you to make you think you know what you are doing." Professor Maria Goncalves.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear. George Orwell.
Racalman

#5 Post by Racalman »

Or do what I did and have your shooting eye lens set to 1 metre.

I can see foresights perfectly clearly. :p
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

my brother had trifocal lens fitted last week, so far he has found everything in focus regardless of distance and is very pleased with the results, however, it was a very spendy operation, and not one the NHS will fund at the moment.
Plumose
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Plumose »

I did think about the trifocal, but was warned by the surgeon that there was a greater chance of halos around lights so some people found that driving a night became difficult
Racalman

#8 Post by Racalman »

There is another problem with multi focal implants which I discovered while carrying out my research prior to opting for monovision.

They reduce the amount of light that reaches the retina by about 18%. This becomes a problem as you get older and your retina ages but unfortunately the eye clinics dont tell you that as they make more money by fitting them.

Most people opt for distance lenses in both eyes and accept that you have to wear glasses for near and reading (and driving). This is not ideal for shooters because of the extra distortion (and problems with rain). Also when you get old and forget where you put your glasses you are at risk of falling down stairs!

This is why I went for one distance lens and one near lens. The only time I need glasses is for close up work and reading in poor light. It works brilliantly.
Plumose
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Plumose »

I did go for a multifocal, so I can see clearly from about 1 meter outwards, I just need reading glasses for reading and other close up work.
Because of this I can go for the simple +1.5 reading glasses that you can 5 for about £15 from Amazon I have purchased a lot and scatter them around the house, leave some in the car for reading maps/programming sat-nav etc.
I also have some folding ones that live in my pocket, some safety glasses with a small reading section at the bottom, similar sunglasses and in fact a dive mask set up in the same way.

And all of this for less than £100.

I did think about the two different lens approach, but even for the week between getting the 1st eye and 2nd eye done the difference between the eye with the lens and the eye with glasses was causing headaches.
Racalman

#10 Post by Racalman »

I agree that not everyone can get on with monovision.

In my case I had already tried it out with contact lenses and my brain suppresses the blur in the weak eye very well.

If anyone is contemplating cataract surgery and would like to consider monovision to help their shooting then i can recommend this article:

https://www.healio.com/ophthalmology/ca ... ct-surgery