Eyesight correction & shooting

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Eyesight correction & shooting

#11 Post by Daryll »

Plumose wrote:I did think about the trifocal, but was warned by the surgeon that there was a greater chance of halos around lights so some people found that driving a night became difficult
I've heard that too, from someone who had them fitted.

Racalman, we were discussing this in another post and you mentioned having a close focus lens in your shooting eye... I can understand that working with iron sights, but how good is it with scopes..??
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#12 Post by Racalman »

Daryll wrote:
Plumose wrote:I did think about the trifocal, but was warned by the surgeon that there was a greater chance of halos around lights so some people found that driving a night became difficult

Racalman, we were discussing this in another post and you mentioned having a close focus lens in your shooting eye... I can understand that working with iron sights, but how good is it with scopes..??
Hi Daryll

It works perfectly. Having standard fixed focus lenses give the best quality vision and although the focal length is fixed there is a depth of focus so it's not an absolute cutoff.

I'm lucky that although I'm right handed I have a left dominant eye but shoot with my right. My left eye is now distance and my right eye -1 dioptre (= 1 metre). Most scopes have more than +/- 1 dipotre adjustment on the eyepiece so the reticle and image are sharp.

The downside is I had to sell my ACOG because there was no adjustment for the eyepiece and the reticle was blurred.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#13 Post by Daryll »

Racalman wrote:
Daryll wrote:

Hi Daryll

It works perfectly. Having standard fixed focus lenses give the best quality vision and although the focal length is fixed there is a depth of focus so it's not an absolute cutoff.

I'm lucky that although I'm right handed I have a left dominant eye but shoot with my right. My left eye is now distance and my right eye -1 dioptre (= 1 metre). Most scopes have more than +/- 1 dipotre adjustment on the eyepiece so the reticle and image are sharp.

The downside is I had to sell my ACOG because there was no adjustment for the eyepiece and the reticle was blurred.

Ok thanks.... thats typical, I've just bought an ACOG..!

Daryll.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#14 Post by Racalman »

Daryll wrote:
Ok thanks.... thats typical, I've just bought an ACOG..!

Daryll.
Well that's something to bear in mind when you choose your lens implants. I replaced my ACOG with a Sightron scope.