NRA at it again.

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: NRA at it again.

#101 Post by dromia »

Even when you are a member you have zero influence, the logic of reason that you promote Fred only works when there is reasonableness all round. The NRA management and governors are not reasonable. The Charity Commissioners have just verified what most shooters have known for decades about the NRA, it is not interested in members views and shooters needs only their narrow agenda.

If the NRA was a reasonable organisation then joining and participating would make a difference.

I have wondered for years why I continue my membership and I do think that after this current fiasco I should do the sensible thing and not renew, over three decades of flogging a dead horse I should know better.

Even when you are a member you would be as well speaking with the Chinese government as the NRA.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
dta europe

#102 Post by dta europe »

Not true,

As a member you have a vote. If the majority dont vote your way then thats just democracy in action.

You can always vote with your feet but constant incessant whinging gets a but old.

Ewen
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#103 Post by dromia »

I am sorry that you see pointing out a"National" organisations manifest failings as whinging.

No doubt you will see the Charity commissioners damning report as just whinging too.

One of the reasons it is a perennial on here is because engaging with the organisation on such issues is impossible for members as the NRA just refuses to acknowledge its failings or accept any form of criticism at all.

I am glad that at least you see the NRA as a successful organisation and it is delivering for you and the nations legal gun owners and shooters, it is just from where I am it is most definitely not.

If it continues with its current charitable status then directly supporting civilian shooting will not be an option for it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

BamBam

#104 Post by BamBam »

Lancs Lad wrote:
RDC wrote:
Chapuis wrote:
After all the National Pistol Association used to allow affiliated clubs representation in the form of a limited number of votes depending on club size (up to a maximum of 5 votes). I'm just wondering why the NRA have never introduced something similar.
Because those of us outside the Bisley Bubble don't matter.

Exactly!

:flag13: LL
All of this.
Racalman
Home club or Range: LPSC and NRA

#105 Post by Racalman »

The Times had a substantial article about this yesterday:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/regu ... -qkjftjh79
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#106 Post by IainWR »

BamBam wrote:
RDC wrote:
Chapuis wrote:
After all the National Pistol Association used to allow affiliated clubs representation in the form of a limited number of votes depending on club size (up to a maximum of 5 votes). I'm just wondering why the NRA have never introduced something similar.
Because those of us outside the Bisley Bubble don't matter.

All of this.
... is just not true. If you want 5 votes per club (or any other structural change), join as individuals, put the resolution to general meeting, turn up in sufficient numbers to pass it (or on an electronic vote make the case well enough to carry the vote), and you're there.

Of course, once you've paid up to be an individual member, you might ask why those who don't should have voting rights.
dromia
Site Admin

#107 Post by dromia »

The reality though Iain is that if you are a Bisley shooter then your first priority is how Bisley runs not the effectiveness of the NRA at a national level.

For the many shooters and legal gun owners, who are the vast majority, for whom Bisley is an irrelevance due to distance, cost or choice then there is no reason for them to be NRA members so that the likely hood of their agenda ever having a majority is very low.

As the NRA claims to be a national organisation then surely it is not unreasonable to expect the NRA to have a meaningful national presence that makes a positive difference for shooters across the nation. As a self proclaimed NATIONAL body it should not have to be told by its membership to have a national presence beyond Bisley. It should show leadership and vision (which is sorely lacking), be of relevance to non Bisley legal gun owners and shooters. The way the NRA behaves and has behaved historically make it a total irrelevance to the shooting experience of the vast majority of shooters. To say that the NRA's manifold failings is the fault of legal gun owners not joining is just typical NRA, condescending, cynical and arrogant in the extreme. Obviously the Mercer attitude is transuding through the organisation and is policy.

Bisley first, Bisley last and the rest can whistle. Should be adopted as the NRA mission statement.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

RDC

#108 Post by RDC »

IainWR wrote:
... is just not true. If you want 5 votes per club (or any other structural change), join as individuals, put the resolution to general meeting, turn up in sufficient numbers to pass it (or on an electronic vote make the case well enough to carry the vote), and you're there.

Of course, once you've paid up to be an individual member, you might ask why those who don't should have voting rights.
I've been an individual member since I got into shooting. All those I am aware of being individual members of the NRA, in the clubs I am in as well as myself are pretty disillusioned with it and feel we are left to rot at the expense of Bisley. No one I know believe th is much vaunted vote is worth anything as it's all bisley-centric. The whole 'put yourself forward for a position' is all well and good if you are retired and a trip to Bisley is easy to do often. However to even be voted in, you are facing an uphill battle against well-established people and cliques. Plus it sounds like even being a committee member/trustee means sod all unless part of the clique anyway.

Also clubs pay a wedge into the NRA every year. Many are forced to in order to shoot on MoD ranges. Why shouldn't they get some say for all that cash they put in the coffers?
RDC

#109 Post by RDC »

Just to add further, even at Bisley I have experienced how is outside of the Bisley Bubble are treated like crap. The armourer once refused a club member a hire rifle because he didn't "trust clubs" when presented with a SCC issued by the club on the behalf of the NRA. It was over an hour of wasted range time we had paid before store it was finally sorted.

Also that same year our booked markers were suddenly unavailable, but whilst we were in the range office, a bloke from a posh school came in and thanked them for getting markers at such short notice for their late booking!
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#110 Post by IainWR »

dromia wrote: To say that the NRA's manifold failings is the fault of legal gun owners not joining is just typical NRA, condescending, cynical and arrogant in the extreme.
Do you know what a strawman is?