Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hoppum
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

#1 Post by Hoppum »

Just notified TVP of a new purchase and noticed this on the email acknowledgement.
Information notice - Changes to medical information
You are now required to provide medical information verified by a GP for all firearm and shotgun applications - this includes renewals. This applies to any application, whether declaring a medical condition or not. The change is being implemented to enable the Police to make informed decisions which will protect both the shooting community and the wider public. The change will mean a consistent and fair process for all applicants, and will assist in improving application processing times. The fact you have a condition may not necessarily mean your application is refused. However, a false declaration could result in your prosecution, or your application being refused, or your existing license being revoked and your firearms or shotguns being seized.

This change will affect any application submitted from 1st August 2019.

How to request this information
You will need to request the information from your GP surgery using the provided GP Report. Present this at your GP practice with the fee agreed between you and the practice. Once completed by the GP, the GP Report must be submitted at the same time as you make your application to the Police.
Report: https://www.thamesvalley.police.uk/SysS ... rma-v9.pdf

Not sure if this is old news as I've only just noticed it. Whilst it states that doctors fees are optional, I can't imagine many will pass up a chance to charge!
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Thames Valley Police Standardised Medical Form

#2 Post by mag41uk »

Its new. It was actually on local news last week.
I had the letter back in Jan about early renewal but didn't take it up.
Based on the above I have just emailed them to see if I can still do it!
I am still not sure about the legality behind this.
I don't recall seeing in HO guidance that this is mandatory.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

I am already several months into an early renewal (at their request) and am eagerly (not) waiting to be told of this extra hoop, (already had my FEO mentioning about the amount of work he has )
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#4 Post by mag41uk »

kennyc wrote:I am already several months into an early renewal (at their request) and am eagerly (not) waiting to be told of this extra hoop, (already had my FEO mentioning about the amount of work he has )
Thanks!
When I last renewed 4 years ago there was a backlog then!
So they add on something else to drag it out at our expense?
I am tempted to send off my renewal now with two cheques - one for £25 and one for the full rate.
Get it in before the 1st of August and they can advise me accordingly. I am due April 2020 so only 10 months away.
In the mean time contact my GP - who I haven't seen in years - and find out how much more wealthy I can make him.
He is wealthy,already, property wise.
Grrr with added grrr.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

Oh great................. wtf

I'm was just about to move into TVP area.......but I maybe having to pull out for other reasons, this might just add another one!
They might want one of these before they issue a new transferred FAC, and how will that work, a new doctor won't want to know!

I fully expect ALL forces to have introduced this crap within another 12-18 months.

All part of the stealth tactic of eliminating public firearm ownership.
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

mag41uk wrote: I don't recall seeing in HO guidance that this is mandatory.
Nothing in the HO guidance. However the various forces are making it up as they go along these days and somewhere at some point there was an individual who thought this was an excellent idea and got it rolled out and now others are following suit.

Nothing we can do as it is all
to enable the Police to make informed decisions which will protect both the shooting community and the wider public.
Can't really argue against that one, can we 8-)

More paperwork and longer waiting times, that is the result. Oh and frustrated FEOs.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#7 Post by breacher »

In fairness - while its an extra hoop, I have no objection.

If a crime was committed and several people murdered. Then, afterwards the murderers doctor came forward and said "I was not aware he had a FAC and knowing his medical history, I would have advised against it had I been consulted"...........

My only caveat would be that the police should accept without prejudice, reports from Doctors which are non committal such as "I have not known the patient long enough to comment" or "I am not qualified to say whether he/she is suitable for FAC" etc
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

They advise that that form will take a GP 30mins for a renewal and 1hr for a grant?? Firstly, why would there be any difference if its the first time the GP is filling one out, they don't have a 'history' of forms to check which would in theory make the renewals oen quicker. Secondly, no wonder the NHS is fooked if it takes a highly trained professional that long to fill out such a simple form (for those patients with no issues, which is going to be the vast majority)
DVC
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

breacher wrote:In fairness - while its an extra hoop, I have no objection.

If a crime was committed and several people murdered. Then, afterwards the murderers doctor came forward and said "I was not aware he had a FAC and knowing his medical history, I would have advised against it had I been consulted"...........

My only caveat would be that the police should accept without prejudice, reports from Doctors which are non committal such as "I have not known the patient long enough to comment" or "I am not qualified to say whether he/she is suitable for FAC" etc
Breacher, it won't make any difference. This is yet another hoop that has been created so that people can wash their hands off responsibility if something bad happens. I have spoken to many people who have not been to see their GP for some 20-30 years, maybe some have had a stint in hospital during this period but that is it, how is a GP supposed to comment?

I strongly believe that the only way is peer assessment, that should happen automatically anyway, we all have to be a member of a club, part of the club's responsibility is to keep an eye on the members.
kevinww

#10 Post by kevinww »

And when the GP requests payment, tell them your a health tourist and exempt from paying.