Gun clubs posting videos

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Gun clubs posting videos

#61 Post by dromia »

Sim G wrote: And never, ever, ever decry anything because it has no “competitive value”! If the antis are encouraged that only competitive or sporting shooting has value, you can kiss goodbye to gun ownership straight away!
Absolutely, the competitive route is a doomed one for shooters, I have my firearms for shooting at live quarry and shooting at targets. I have never used competitive shooting as a good reason for my guns for to do so would put me on the treadmill of competitions which I have no interest in.

The antis will do everything they can to limit and divide us and when we start breaking gun ownership into divisive pieces then we will only speed on the inevitable.

We should be proud and loud of all shooting of guns in this country that is both legal and safe, being apologetic and criticising legal gun owners undertaking legal and safe shooting whatever that may be is pure Yardley.

Plinking is as valid as any other "discipline".

All legal and safe shooting and gun ownership is good and should be supported, there is enough negative views of what we do without gun owners joining their ranks.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
ordnance

#62 Post by ordnance »

All legal and safe shooting and gun ownership is good and should be supported, there is enough negative views of what we do without gun owners joining their ranks.
Agree, most members of the public couldn't care less if people are taking part in target shooting IPSC etc. A lot do have a issue with people shooting animals for sport, and would be happy to have it and the guns used banned tomorrow. Mike Yardley and others criticise and blame people that take part in some shooting disciplines as bad for shooting, but ignore their shooting actives negative effects on public opinion regarding guns. I now see where Mike Yardley gets his supporters on Fcaebook from, some on this forum after reading some posts.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#63 Post by Blackstuff »

TattooedGun wrote:
What "Sporting" use does a mag-dump have? It may be a function test, but it doesn't really have any competitive value. So becomes very difficult to defend in terms of having a club showing it off as a "come and have a go at this"... It doesn't have any intrinsic sporting or competitive value.
If your gun doesn't function in a competition then thats going to be a problem no?? 5mith
DVC
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#64 Post by TattooedGun »

Dark Skies wrote:No, I get where you're coming from.
I just believe that no matter how nice we play, no matter how many arses on the Clapham Omnibus we kiss, no matter how respectable we are, no matter how much holding a FAC represents the cream of honest citizens, no matter how much we bend over to come across as harmless old duffers quietly minding our own business, the result will always be the same. The police and the government will always use us as a distraction from tackling real firearm crime and violent crime in general. Have you not noticed the pattern over the last forty years plus?

So where I'm coming from is f*** them. f*** them and the eggshells they scatter.
So you're giving up, that's up to you. I agree that it's inevitable, they're going to want to take complete disarmament from the population, but do we really need to provide them with the ammunition to help them do it? If "walking on eggshells" and enjoying our sport for a little longer whilst they get their ducks in a row gives us an extra few years, months or weeks, surely it's got to be worth it to continue to enjoy the things that are legal rather than to risk speeding up the process by posting what might be considered controversial videos on social media?
Sim G wrote:Dark Skies has it right. (God forgive me for agreeing with him!!) whatever you do, however you project, you will always be playing catch up. The Commonwealth Games in Birmingham is the a case in point. What more a benign shooting sport is there than 10m air pistol? Women’s cricket out ranks it and more people have been killed with cricket bats than air pistols!

And never, ever, ever decry anything because it has no “competitive value”! If the antis are encouraged that only competitive or sporting shooting has value, you can kiss goodbye to gun ownership straight away!
As I said, I agree to an extent that we are playing catch-up, and whilst I support everythign that goes bang, the point I was trying to make that our certificate system is down to "good reason", I'm trying to be more open minded following the replies my post has garnered, but I still believe that being involved in competitions to any standard gives one a better reason to suggest they "need" a firearm for a particular discipline over someone who just wants one with no other justification. That's not to say I don't believe that gives someone "good reason", because obviously it does. But I feel like it's something that can be defended more strongly as there's something of substance to quantify the claims.

Please don't misunderstand me and make out that I believe if you don't shoot competitions you don't have good reason - I am not saying that, in the slightest.

I'm just saying that in my mind, it's something that can be defended more vigorously with links to Local, National and International Sporting Associations.

I MAY BE WRONG. Obviously, it had little to no effect on the choices of games to be held in Birmingham, and the Olympic showing was somewhat farcical, but these are my views.
Blackstuff wrote:
TattooedGun wrote: ... snip ...
If your gun doesn't function in a competition then thats going to be a problem no?? 5mith
Absolutely, but is it necessary to film and show function tests on the internet? Maybe it's valuable to film them so if there's a problem your gunsmith can help try and diagnose it, but realistically, is there anything to be gained from showing yourself blatting off rounds as fast as you can into a backstop?
dromia wrote:
Sim G wrote: And never, ever, ever decry anything because it has no “competitive value”! If the antis are encouraged that only competitive or sporting shooting has value, you can kiss goodbye to gun ownership straight away!
Absolutely, the competitive route is a doomed one for shooters, I have my firearms for shooting at live quarry and shooting at targets. I have never used competitive shooting as a good reason for my guns for to do so would put me on the treadmill of competitions which I have no interest in.

The antis will do everything they can to limit and divide us and when we start breaking gun ownership into divisive pieces then we will only speed on the inevitable.

We should be proud and loud of all shooting of guns in this country that is both legal and safe, being apologetic and criticising legal gun owners undertaking legal and safe shooting whatever that may be is pure Yardley.

Again, I feel like my intention or point has been taken out of context. I am an advocate of any safe and legal gun ownership. I don't feel I need to repeat myself from replying to Sim.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#65 Post by dromia »

Then don't obfuscate that view by clouding it with caveats.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#66 Post by TattooedGun »

dromia wrote:Then don't obfuscate that view by clouding it with caveats.
Rarely are views "black and white", and rarer still are they formed by single instances.

My views are formed over a long period of time and after seeing first hand the attitudes and practices of many different types of shooters across many different disciplines. If it were not for certain practices I have witnessed, my views would not have caveats.
dromia
Site Admin

#67 Post by dromia »

As it is with all of us however in the context of this thread the argument is very simple.

The antis are in no way interested in the nuances of legal gun owners views on the subject, their view is simple, guns are bad therefore people who wish to own guns are bad.

The answer to that is guns are not bad and people who wish to own guns are not bad by that association.

That is the level of discussion with them.

You may think that showing such videos is not a good idea, but vociferously condemning it on an open forum will give as much to the antis as the video (in your opinion) does.

That is the "Yardley Effect".

Using competitive shooting as good reason is no doubt the easiest route for you as a competitive shooter, however if one doesn't aspire to owning guns for competitive shooting then to try and use that as an argument for good reason would be disingenuous at best.

We all need to be far more circumspect in our approach to other legal shooters and gun owners activities and champion all aspects that are legal and safe. Legal gun ownership in this country is at present time limited and any appeasement will not change that. I would far sooner loose my guns secure in the knowledge that it was done in full contradiction to the facts about legal gun ownership and it's proportionate threat to public safety than to have that eroded by divisive internal chipping away of what we do by fellow gun owners criticising other legal gun owners who are doing nothing wrong.

It is the criticisms of such legal behaviour within our community that is far more likely to draw the attention of the antis than a legal activity undertaken safely.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#68 Post by TattooedGun »

You have your opinion, and I have mine.

Nowhere did I suggest people use competition as a good reason, where that is not an applicants good reason.
Neither do I believe there was anything vociferous about displaying my views.

There is nothing to be gained by continuing this discussion further.
dromia
Site Admin

#69 Post by dromia »

Very true the less people see such divisive attitudes as yours the better.

To do your bidding and see that this discussion goes no further I am locking this thread.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!