Change to range safety certificate

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

Change to range safety certificate

#1 Post by Mike95 »

Would appreciate some wisdom on this topic....our home range safety certificate was issued by the NRA some 5 years ago...maximum calibre .45. We have a number of club members interested in shooting historical rifles...eg Snider and Martini...larger calibres. Our range is controlled by an " Association" with a mysterious number of trustees...most of them possibly dead. Since the original certificate was issued by the NRA , I approached them to ask if the maximum calibre could be increased. The NRA advised me that they no longer enter a maximum calibre on any range safety certificates that they now issue...it is now apparently a matter for the range organisers..ie the " Association", to consider amending the range safety certificate...no luck with the current management of the "Association" but I do not understand why the NRA will not get involved.

Any wise advice please.

Mike95
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Change to range safety certificate

#2 Post by Sim G »

Yep, when we did ours they stipulated max muzzle velocity and maximum muzzle energy, which ever was greater. You actually don’t need your range “certificating”, all you do need is to have third insurance cover for the activities taking place. See what stipulations your current provider may make of you up the max caliber whilst staying within the previous energy/velocity stipulations.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#3 Post by IainWR »

Mike95 wrote:Would appreciate some wisdom on this topic....our home range safety certificate was issued by the NRA some 5 years ago...maximum calibre .45. We have a number of club members interested in shooting historical rifles...eg Snider and Martini...larger calibres. Our range is controlled by an " Association" with a mysterious number of trustees...most of them possibly dead. Since the original certificate was issued by the NRA , I approached them to ask if the maximum calibre could be increased. The NRA advised me that they no longer enter a maximum calibre on any range safety certificates that they now issue...it is now apparently a matter for the range organisers..ie the " Association", to consider amending the range safety certificate...no luck with the current management of the "Association" but I do not understand why the NRA will not get involved.

Any wise advice please.

Mike95
Wise advice: call 01483 797777 ext 154 or email legal@nra.org.uk
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

Do you not have a Club Secretary he/she should be able to sort that without to much trouble.
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#5 Post by Mike95 »

I am the club secretary!!...I have spent some time talking to the NRA, who do not wish to get involved, although the existing range certificate was issued by the NRA....I will try the e mail address given on the last post....

Mike95