Seriously?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Seriously?

#31 Post by Pete »

How do you know that vegans and animal rights activists all live in cities?

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#32 Post by Pippin89 »

Pete wrote:How do you know that vegans and animal rights activists all live in cities?

Pete
Because a few years ago I had to move to a big city for work (hated every minute of it and have thankfully now left) and living in the countryside both before and after you never hear a word of it. Living in the city its EVERYWHERE!!!
Christel
Site Admin

#33 Post by Christel »

Of course the majority of them live in big cities, if they lived in the countryside they would understand the situation.

EDIT:

Should have made myself more clear: Born and Bred.
Pete
Past Supporter

#34 Post by Pete »

Really?..............It was living in the countryside that opened my eyes in the first place................

Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Christel
Site Admin

#35 Post by Christel »

Pete, the way you speak indicates to me that you were not born and bred in the countryside.
Christel
Site Admin

#36 Post by Christel »

Actually having thought about it I know of a couple who lives in the countryside and frankly they are a pest for their surroundings.

Not born and bred but incomers.

They have a go at the local hunt whenever they can and try to upset as many people as possible by interfering with the business of the local council.

In fact I get the impression they are doing it more out of spite than conviction.

Antis are dreadful people, it is not their opinion that is the problem, it is their approach which is so full of hate.
Pippin89

#37 Post by Pippin89 »

christel wrote:Actually having thought about it I know of a couple who lives in the countryside and frankly they are a pest for their surroundings.

Not born and bred but incomers.

They have a go at the local hunt whenever they can and try to upset as many people as possible by interfering with the business of the local council.

In fact I get the impression they are doing it more out of spite than conviction.

Antis are dreadful people, it is not their opinion that is the problem, it is their approach which is so full of hate.
Couldn't agree more. A not-insignificant amount of horses have been put down at my local hunt over the years due to the work of the bloody Sabs!! Trip wires to break legs and throwing paint in horses eyes to blind them seem to be their favourite games. "Animal Rights Activists" eh?..... And their attacks on people are just as bad. My old man once opened a letter than was posted through his door with a letter opener. Good job he did because there was a razor blade taped in side it!
Pete
Past Supporter

#38 Post by Pete »

So, an animal lover who simply considers hunting with dogs and shooting inedible wildlife to be barbaric, and says so, is in the same category as the terrorists who sabotage hunts and endanger lives???

Pete
Pippin89

#39 Post by Pippin89 »

Pete wrote:So, an animal lover who simply considers hunting with dogs and shooting inedible wildlife to be barbaric, and says so, is in the same category as the terrorists who sabotage hunts and endanger lives???

Pete
Incorrect. You seem all to quick to jump to the assumption that I agree with all forms of hunting... I don't. I completely disagree with hunting that serves no purpose. Hunting must have a reason behind it. Either food, or culling, or protection of other animals/property. Pure trophy hunting that serves no purpose other than the gratification of the hunter is, as you put it, barbaric.
Polchraine

#40 Post by Polchraine »

Pippin89 wrote: ... Pure trophy hunting that serves no purpose other than the gratification of the hunter is, as you put it, barbaric.

What do you class as "Pure Trophy Hunting"

Take some parts of Africa where wealthy Eurpoeans or Americans go for a trophy hunt.

They may pay a "trophy fee" to local or national government.

Then there are all the other costs:
Accomodation and such in the area - provided by locals
Guides, trackers and other - all paid for
Then when the target is culled - what happenes to it? Quite often, the locals will receive the carcass and that will keep teh village supplied with meat for a time at not cost to them.

I can accept going on a trophy hunt for specific species such as various antelopes or others where there is an all round benefits. However, when going for a Lion, Tiger, Cheetah &c just for the sake of it, then NO.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.