Seriously?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Seriously?

#41 Post by Christel »

The divide lies in "us" and "them", we have guns, they do not.

"They" begrudge landowners their land and wealth. "They" see no need for anyone to have guns.

Very often "they" are Labour voters and live in cities.

There is nothing new here, it is a class divide at the end of the day.

Anyone seen the debate between the three trolls from Wild Justice (as if) and Charlie Jacoby?

Big balls Charlie goodjob
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#42 Post by Pippin89 »

Polchraine wrote:
Pippin89 wrote: ... Pure trophy hunting that serves no purpose other than the gratification of the hunter is, as you put it, barbaric.

What do you class as "Pure Trophy Hunting"

Take some parts of Africa where wealthy Eurpoeans or Americans go for a trophy hunt.

They may pay a "trophy fee" to local or national government.

Then there are all the other costs:
Accomodation and such in the area - provided by locals
Guides, trackers and other - all paid for
Then when the target is culled - what happenes to it? Quite often, the locals will receive the carcass and that will keep teh village supplied with meat for a time at not cost to them.

I can accept going on a trophy hunt for specific species such as various antelopes or others where there is an all round benefits. However, when going for a Lion, Tiger, Cheetah &c just for the sake of it, then NO.
Valid point. And like anything there is always a grey area. The animals life is serving a purpose at the end of the day. But like all hunting it needs to be done responsibly and in a controlled way. Endangered species, as you say are one point. And I doubt the locals are feasting on Lion carcasses!
Pippin89

#43 Post by Pippin89 »

Morally for the person pulling a trigger, the question has to be... Do you enjoy hunting or do you enjoy killing? Two very different things!
Polchraine

#44 Post by Polchraine »

Pippin89 wrote:Morally for the person pulling a trigger, the question has to be... Do you enjoy hunting or do you enjoy killing? Two very different things!
For me ... the former.

No way could I afford to pay to go for a McNab - grouse, salmon, stag. However, on one fishing trip the river was a little high in the morning so did some rough pheasant shooting, then in the afternoon caught a wild salmon - then driving back across a lonely road I came round a bend and standing in the road was stag less than 10m away. I could have taken it out, just for the sake of it - no where to process or store it but it would have given me a "Poor Man's McNab" I just waited untill it finally decided to move on. It goes down in memory as a kill I could have made.

On trips to S. Africa, I have been on a few "hunting safari" type excursions - then intention is to track and find the lions or rhinos and get up close but not to do anything more.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89

#45 Post by Pippin89 »

Polchraine wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:Morally for the person pulling a trigger, the question has to be... Do you enjoy hunting or do you enjoy killing? Two very different things!
For me ... the former.

No way could I afford to pay to go for a McNab - grouse, salmon, stag. However, on one fishing trip the river was a little high in the morning so did some rough pheasant shooting, then in the afternoon caught a wild salmon - then driving back across a lonely road I came round a bend and standing in the road was stag less than 10m away. I could have taken it out, just for the sake of it - no where to process or store it but it would have given me a "Poor Man's McNab" I just waited untill it finally decided to move on. It goes down in memory as a kill I could have made.

On trips to S. Africa, I have been on a few "hunting safari" type excursions - then intention is to track and find the lions or rhinos and get up close but not to do anything more.
I can't argue with that. It sounds like you are very sensible and selective over what you hunt and why you hunt it!