The media again ...

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Polchraine

The media again ...

#1 Post by Polchraine »

From the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-49225423
Capture2.JPG
How many firearms? One air rifle, one air rifle barrel, one airrifle stock, three crossbows and two unknown ...

Why do the media find it so difficult to understand what a firearm is? Since when has a crossbow been one?

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: The media again ...

#2 Post by Pippin89 »

You can almost guarantee the air rifles weren't section 1 either!
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#3 Post by Geek »

Polchraine wrote:From the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-49225423

Why do the media find it so difficult to understand what a firearm is? Since when has a crossbow been one?
Because they don't care, the truth doesn't make headlines or sell papers.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by 1066 »

Geek wrote:
Polchraine wrote:From the BBC https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-s ... e-49225423

Because they don't care, the truth doesn't make headlines or sell papers.

They don't really care, just more hyped up trash. 95% of Joe public know no better and it plays well to the wet lefty anti-gun liberals that control most of the media.

This drip, drip does have a long term effect as can be seen in the Commonwealth Games decision. It's very difficult for anyone, not involved, to approach the shooting sports with an open mind let alone voice any support for shooting on open social media site without being castgated
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

Actually the full picture is from Staffordshire Police's Facebook page. I expect the BBC lifted it from their page as it's an easy story. The imbeciles at the BBC don't know any better. Granted, if they did they probably wouldn't care anyway. But the police should know better than to fob the public off with bullshit "success" stories.

With their blatant disregard for accuracy regarding that picture you have to wonder about the accuracy of the following image festooned with what we are told are drugs and offensive weapons. However, for all we know they could be vitamins, aspirins, and talc, with some novelty belt buckles strewn about. Not being able to trust the police is a serious issue. They could at least reflect on that, respect our intelligence, and make the effort to fake crimes they've 'solved' to a degree of professionalism that we expect in the 21st century.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Quarters

#6 Post by Quarters »

A better pics shows a few more items.
Attachments
YQYMEW4DH5EBNCOGT4JMOBRNKQ.jpg
Quarters

#7 Post by Quarters »

Not sure about the top 2 pistols.
Quarters

#8 Post by Quarters »

If they had access to actual firearms they probably wouldn't need airguns. I'd imagine nothing in that pic is a firearm.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

The devil is in the detail, so they say.

The air rifles and air pistols pictured are, by definition, firearms. Likewise, they are controlled/exempted under the auspices of the Firearms Act. As opposed to Staffordshire Police being dishonest, they are perhaps being a little disingenuous. They would argue that they are being “technically correct” I’d have no doubt.

The comments on their Facebook page where this features share very much the same sentiment expressed here.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
U27 Shooting Range
Home club or Range: U27 Warsaw, Poland

#10 Post by U27 Shooting Range »

Unfortunately there is a general anti gun lobby in most european countries and media support it.
We, the shooters are not many enough to be taken seriously.
But I think we should not give up and try to take every opportunity to promote this beautiful sport and hobby.
The best indoor range in Poland
http://www.u27.pl/en