Range Register

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
nigelc
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle & Pistol Club, Offas Dyke

Range Register

#1 Post by nigelc »

Had an email from one of the three clubs I shoot with today stating that they need to make immediate changes to the range register and anyone who fails to comply will not be able to shoot. The club states that:

"the Home Office require us to identify every rifle/pistol used on every range and by whom. The range register will be kept on the firing point and if you
shoot someone else's rifle you will need to enter their membership no".

The club proposes to keep a register/data base detailing the calibre and serial number of all members firearms. The other two clubs I shoot with do not require this, and after a quick read of the current legislation, I cannot see where this is a Home Office requirement. Anyone know what the current requirement/law is?
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Range Register

#2 Post by Daryll »

Our club has done this for years.... you record make, calibre and serial no of each gun you take on each visit to the range....and according to the club secretarty, its a requirement of the Cambs FLO.
It allows them to check that all your firearms get used...
nigelc
Home club or Range: Swadlincote Rifle & Pistol Club, Offas Dyke

#3 Post by nigelc »

Daryll wrote:Our club has done this for years.... you record make, calibre and serial no of each gun you take on each visit to the range....and according to the club secretarty, its a requirement of the Cambs FLO.
Yes, but is this a case of the Cambs FLO making up their own rules or is it a Home Office requirement? What about recording if you shoot someone else's rifle?
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#4 Post by Andy632 »

nigelc wrote:
Daryll wrote:Our club has done this for years.... you record make, calibre and serial no of each gun you take on each visit to the range....and according to the club secretarty, its a requirement of the Cambs FLO.
Yes, but is this a case of the Cambs FLO making up their own rules or is it a Home Office requirement? What about recording if you shoot someone else's rifle?

No, It's part of the Criteria for Home Office or Scottish Office Approval. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... Final_.pdf
F. the club will maintain a register of the attendance of all members together with details for each visit of the firearms which they used (see note 6) ;
Note: 6. An attendance register should be kept of all members. In the case of a firearm held on a member’s firearm certificate, the register will record the calibre, type and serial number of the firearm(s) used and the date. All visiting shooters should be logged in the same way. In the case of competition shoots between clubs, the responsibility for recording the attendance of a team member will lie with the club that the shooter represents. In the case of open competitions, the organising club will record details of competitors. Clubs should retain their attendance records for a minimum of 6 years.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#5 Post by Dellboy »

/
So if you are attending a club with an influx of new members requiring supervision and you dont get to shoot for a couple of months or more how does this stand with the feo ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#6 Post by Plumose »

I was told that they usually take 3 uses a year as a reasonable number of uses to justify ownership of a firearm, don't know if this is a number that TVP has pulled out of the air or if there is a justification for picking that number
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
artiglio

#7 Post by artiglio »

My club , you sign in , time, date, fac no, firearmserial number, and time signed out. In the actual range you have a book to record how many rounds you’ve fired, though this is more to satisfy the range certificate in terms of deleading the backstop afaik. Takes only minute or so each visit so hardly a great burden.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#8 Post by mag41uk »

My club keeps a record as per HO requirements and has for years.
All my shooting activity is kept there from where ever I shoot.
I am amazed to hear that some clubs don't do this tbh.
How do you prove usage at renewal?
RDC

#9 Post by RDC »

Plumose wrote:I was told that they usually take 3 uses a year as a reasonable number of uses to justify ownership of a firearm, don't know if this is a number that TVP has pulled out of the air or if there is a justification for picking that number
Guide on Firearms Licensing Law wrote:13.53 Target shooters may be expected to use their firearms fairly regularly, say three or more times a year. The police should consider on renewal whether “good reason” continues in respect of all firearms held for this purpose. However, failure to shoot in a year should be regarded as grounds for further enquiries to be made, rather than the automatic partial revocation of the certificate for lack of “good reason”. For example, there may be personal circumstances such as illness, working away (where this is not to be repeated regularly), or practice for a particular competition that may preclude the use of all the firearms concerned. In some cases, competitions for unusual or older arms may be few each year. Owners, and especially collectors, may also not want to regularly shoot old, historic, and valuable firearms, thus avoiding excessive wear and tear.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#10 Post by DaveB »

God, I hope the damned government here never gets wind of this. They are already looking for more ways to stick it to shooters following the Christchurch shooting. This is just the sort of thing they'd love to saddle us with. The current trend seems to be to make firearms ownership so onerous that people simply give it up as a bad idea.