Front venting blank fire pistols are most defiantly Sec5

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
huntervixen
Home club or Range: The Severn Side Range

Front venting blank fire pistols are most defiantly Sec5

#1 Post by huntervixen »

Morning all,

I had a chat with Mike Wells the other day and the subject of front venting blankfire revolvers and pistols came up, it seems the Home Office has come off the fence and the Police have prosecuted a chap for owning one.

While it was agreed that with a partially blocked barrel, it was incapable of discharging any shot or missile, it was however clearly a Section 5 firearm because:

Sec5 b of the firearms act Any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing

So, first off, if anyone owns such a beast, get it to a Sec5 approved dealer for disposal straight away

On the same legal point, as 12 bore gas cartridges are manufactured, all 12 bore shotguns must also be regarded as Section 5! You will note the exact wording of 5b allows for no exceptions!! :o :o wallhead wallhead troutslapping troutslapping troutslapping aaarggh aaarggh
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
Tony-c

Re: Front venting blank fire pistols are most defiantly Sec5

#2 Post by Tony-c »

does a bullet count as "other thing" OMG they all S5
just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel.......... I realised it was just my boss with more work and a torch.
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#3 Post by saddler »

....does that mean we all get a new S.5 authority for our 12-bores?

Off to find a hacksaw & some pistol grips....I'm sure it'll do no harm to convert them now prior to the paperwork showing up.
huntervixen

#4 Post by huntervixen »

saddler wrote:....does that mean we all get a new S.5 authority for our 12-bores?

Off to find a hacksaw & some pistol grips....I'm sure it'll do no harm to convert them now prior to the paperwork showing up.

The laws the law chaps, as you effectively own Sec5 firearms, you should demand Sec5 authority to ensure you are legal!
Two margarines .... is there anything worse? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K4cEocL5kI
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#5 Post by mag41uk »

Is a blank firer actually a weapon?
Discuss!
huntervixen

#6 Post by huntervixen »

Yes, if its front venting, some poor bugger has just been dragged through the courts and prosecuted, so big brother says YES
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

It makes me wonder if he had it sitting in a draw doing nothing or there is more to this...
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gaz
Home club or Range: Bisley (usually)

#8 Post by Gaz »

Is there a link to a court case writeup, or do we know where the case was heard? I can probably track this one down and get the relevant documents if I know where and when.
I write words for money - but not here. If you think my words here are written to the same standard as my words for money elsewhere, you're wrong. Have a nice day.

See also www.ukshootingnews.wordpress.com for my take on gun law and target shooting news.
huntervixen

#9 Post by huntervixen »

I will ask Mike Wells chaps when I get a chance.
huntervixen

#10 Post by huntervixen »

Quick update, the chaps story is in the Sportsmens Association page of Gun Mart apparently.