Marking.......

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: Marking.......

#11 Post by Pete »

It's a good point..............when you've had 5 or 6 shots in the 5 ring, then they start wandering, (or vice versa), it does cross one's mind.
But I still think it's an improvement on a bad slow marker.

(In passing, if he's the guy I think he is, we used PM a couple of times a year or so ago, and he was spot on, and is still bookmarked, just in case...............)

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
rox

#12 Post by rox »

Pete wrote:It's a good point..............when you've had 5 or 6 shots in the 5 ring, then they start wandering, (or vice versa), it does cross one's mind.

(In passing, if he's the guy I think he is, we used PM a couple of times a year or so ago, and he was spot on, and is still bookmarked, just in case...............)

Pete
Do you mean that an electronic target where the indicated shot position doesn't correspond to the hole in the target is OK? If the position of the shot isn't correct, what's the point?

Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#13 Post by Airbrush »

Personally I don't trust the electronic targets, I prefer to see holes in paper.
Private Marker
Home club or Range: Bisley NRA

#14 Post by Private Marker »

Absolutely Airbrush.
Maybe I'm biased, but when you see and hear (on the control radio) how many times the leccy targets go wrong, you would not be keen on them!
They would probably be fine if maintained regularly........
Then again, they make me look good :)
It's safe to say if the leccy targets were so good, Bisley would have no more human markers......
For a start the ranges don't all have power. The targets themselves need more maintenance than the manual targets.
As I said before, not all human markers are the same. Bisley, and shooters, should insist on giving and getting the service that they pay for.
Pete wrote:It's a good point..............when you've had 5 or 6 shots in the 5 ring, then they start wandering, (or vice versa), it does cross one's mind.

Pete
If a human marker was obviously inaccurate would you not have something to say about it?

Pete I have only been marking seven months so it wouldn't have been me a year ago :)
Feel free to bookmark me tool though ! :)
Pete
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Pete »

Airbrush, me too, but our group grew, and we found that the decent markers were in demand, so we had to book too far ahead. The electronics gave us flexibility and the opportunity to book at a days notice, thus reducing the chance of being rained or blown out.

Rox, no, not OK. The electronics are tried and tested, but as with humans, will go wrong from time to time. Then again, how do you know that flyer after a string of 5's wasn't just a bad wind call?
As for spotting the shot holes at 600x, how does that work? I have a humungous great scope that'll show a 6mm hole at 300x, but not at 600x.............

There are pro's and con's with electronics, and for me, the pro's definitely outweigh the con's.
Pete
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
rox

#16 Post by rox »

Pete wrote:Rox, no, not OK. The electronics are tried and tested, but as with humans, will go wrong from time to time. Then again, how do you know that flyer after a string of 5's wasn't just a bad wind call?
I know the degree of error by photographing the target face after shooting (starting with a clean face) then comparing/overlaying the screen indication. I wasn't talking about 'guessing', I was talking about the actual error. I'd call the Intarso Bisley targets 'tried' more than 'tested'. Most tried and testing accurate competition-grade systems have 8 microphones in all corners of the target.
Pete wrote:As for spotting the shot holes at 600x, how does that work? I have a humungous great scope that'll show a 6mm hole at 300x, but not at 600x.............
It works by looking through a spotting-scope with sufficient magnification and optical quality to see the hole when it appears. Size isn't everything.

Private Marker
Home club or Range: Bisley NRA

#17 Post by Private Marker »

With the NRA I am only told of work a week in advance. I'm convinced most of the bookings must be made more than a week in advance.

Pete
Exactly. And the leccy targets don't register all calibre either. So I don't see them fitted Bisley wide any time soon.
I do suspect the shooters that swear by the leccy targets have been lucky enough to not have had a problem with them. Considering there's 27 or so leccy targets in the whole of Bisley, and I hear of problems with them every weak, their reliability is hardly better than that of the human markers.
Pete
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Pete »

"leccy targets don't register all calibres?".......we shoot everything from 223 to 308, and haven't seen that problem..........yet.

This afternoon, I booked a slot on Century for tomorrow morning.........that could be a bit tricky without the electronics..........

Pete
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#19 Post by kennyc »

Private Marker wrote:With the NRA I am only told of work a week in advance. I'm convinced most of the bookings must be made more than a week in advance.

Pete
Exactly. And the leccy targets don't register all calibre either. So I don't see them fitted Bisley wide any time soon.
I do suspect the shooters that swear by the leccy targets have been lucky enough to not have had a problem with them. Considering there's 27 or so leccy targets in the whole of Bisley, and I hear of problems with them every weak, their reliability is hardly better than that of the human markers.
in Switzerland it is almost universal to use Electronic targets, and has been for many years, they manage OK so no reason why the NRA can't pull their finger out and get them working here.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#20 Post by 1066 »

My last dozen or so visits to Bisley have all been with electric targets and had very few problems at all, both on Century and Stickledown. Previously, more often than not, the marking was abysmal, very slow, message 4 every other shot, unable to reach to patch the target etc.

Yes, of course the electric targets need to be maintained but I would choose them any day.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com