Legality of restamping barrel calibre?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Legality of restamping barrel calibre?

#11 Post by Dark Skies »

My concern is the issue of it being recognized (by the serial number) as once being a .44 which, in the fantasy land that is the law, was then 'converted' into a .45 when in reality it was a .45 to start with and has merely had the barrel stamping adjusted to reflect the actual calibre.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

Are you talking about taking a revolver out to the US, having the work done, restamped, then brought back to the UK?

Or is it acquiring a revolver in the US which has been customised?

If first option, then you’ll need a vacant .45 slot for when reimported. Your FAC acts as your import authority and get UKBF to enter it on your ticket and inform the police within 7 days.

Option 2, you’ve bought a custom revolver now designated as .45 calibre. Your FAC with a vacant .45 slot is your import authority. Have UKBF enter it on your ticket, pay your excise and duty, inform the police within seven days.

Whatever it was before the custom work matters not, it’s what it finishes up as, as long as the firearm was not of a type prohibited by UK law, before the custom work.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dark Skies

#13 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:Are you talking about taking a revolver out to the US, having the work done, restamped, then brought back to the UK?

Or is it acquiring a revolver in the US which has been customised?

If first option, then you’ll need a vacant .45 slot for when reimported. Your FAC acts as your import authority and get UKBF to enter it on your ticket and inform the police within 7 days.

Option 2, you’ve bought a custom revolver now designated as .45 calibre. Your FAC with a vacant .45 slot is your import authority. Have UKBF enter it on your ticket, pay your excise and duty, inform the police within seven days.

Whatever it was before the custom work matters not, it’s what it finishes up as, as long as the firearm was not of a type prohibited by UK law, before the custom work.
Thanks. Tis the second instance. I have the .45 authority - I was planning on getting a Ruger Old Army until I realized just how difficult spare parts would be now they aren't made any more and people are hoarding bits.

I thought it was the case but getting a clear idea from the people that ought to know at border control etc about whether I need to do anything beyond show up with my FAC at customs and give them craploads of money was very hard indeed.

One thing that really grinds my gears is that my duty free is not set against the value of the revolver. If the revolver is more than the duty free I have to pay the full amount of duty - it's not offset by the allowance I'm entitled to but haven't use.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

Yep, the Tax Man will get you every way he can!

Your FAC should also state in one of the conditions that you can import on the strength of it.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Dark Skies

#15 Post by Dark Skies »

Sim G wrote:...

Your FAC should also state in one of the conditions that you can import on the strength of it.
The conditions on my FAc don't make any mention of importing firearms. Just the usual obligations in use, where they can be used, storage, notifications etc.

However, in the notes section, it does say at E:

"Her Majesty's revenue and customs will notify the chief Officer of Police who issued this certificate of any firearm which is imported into Great Britain on the authority of this certificate."
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

Yep, that’s what I meant!

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#17 Post by Mattnall »

Andy632 wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
Alpha1 wrote:If you brought it into the UK would it not have to be proofed. In essence you are importing a firearm into the Uk.
No, only if you wish to transfer it on at a later time.
You do need to inform the proof house though.

Where did that come from?? Never heard of it before.
My mistake, should have checked the half remembered source - the part I was referring to was GBP Act 1868, Para. 122(4.) and HO Guidance Para. 24.3(b) and I realise it doesn't apply if it is for ones own personal use (don't be letting someone else borrow it even on the range).
Dark Skies wrote: As far as I'm aware it's fine to import and use a firearm for your own use if it has a recognized C.I.P country proof mark.
Doesn't have to have any proof marks, CIP or otherwise if it is for your own personal use.
However, some range authorities might have an issue with it if it isn't proofed (or proved, proven, whatever).
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.