Cannon barrel proofed?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
sunbeam

Cannon barrel proofed?

#1 Post by sunbeam »

Hi,
How hard is it to get a table top mini cannon barrel proofed if one was to be home made?
(.75 cal about 18" long)
Are we even allowed to make a barrel at home?
Thanks.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Cannon barrel proofed?

#2 Post by dromia »

You can make one so long as you have authority to posses the finished item on your FAC.

You only need to have it proofed if you are going to sell it on, no sensible and responsible gun owner would willingly send their firearms to a proof house unless there is an absolute legal necessity to do so.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
James84

#3 Post by James84 »

This is interesting. So I am building Baker Rifle from a kit and my licensing department said that they wouldn't add it/use the slot on my FAC until it had been proofed. I never plan to sell it, so would I not need to get it proofed to have it on my FAC?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

They must be getting a backhander from that obscene scam that are the proof houses.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#5 Post by Alan D »

James, your Firearms department have absolutely no right to demand that it's proofed.

Might I suggest you ask your local Firearms team were in the Firearms act it is stated that your build needs to be proofed for your personal use.

I would also suggest you offer a compromise to them were you get the piece checked over by a good gunsmith prior to adding it to your FAC, probably a sensible idea anyway.

Using their logic, are they also suggesting that antique Sec58 (2) pieces need to be proofed before going on FAC?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

Alan D wrote: get the piece checked over by a good gunsmith prior to adding it to your FAC, probably a sensible idea anyway.
Add it to your FAC as soon as it is complete or classed as a component/firearm. Otherwise you could be accused of being in possession of an unlicensed firearm.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.