Gun Crime UK

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Gun Crime UK

#31 Post by snayperskaya »

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
glevum
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Cotswold Rifle Club

#32 Post by glevum »

Apparently Sweden has a different problem

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43667367
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#33 Post by Blackstuff »

glevum wrote:Apparently Sweden has a different problem

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43667367
"Sometimes when they buy weapons they get grenades as part of the deal. They throw in a couple of hand grenades, so to speak."

lol lol lol
DVC
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#34 Post by Pete »

Surely if everyone has a right to carry, then the muggers aren't going to walk around with a knife or a bit of gas pipe, they'll be tooled up, same as everybody else.
It won't be a case of "have they or haven't they", it'll be BANG (or more likely phut), get his/her wallet and leg it...............
And I still think my comments about people being likely to want guns to impress, or make a personal statement, is valid.
Our current laws do at least make a gesture towards keeping a lid on mayhem, although the application is sometimes wanting...............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#35 Post by froggy »

Surely if everyone has a right to carry, then the muggers aren't going to walk around with a knife or a bit of gas pipe, they'll be tooled up, same as everybody else.

About 250,00 people have a gun carry permit in the Czech Rep which is very high for a small 10 mio population / 1.5 mio guns owned ... Yet crime is very low and gun crime virtually inexistent !
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
MistAgain

#36 Post by MistAgain »

Pete wrote:Surely if everyone has a right to carry, then the muggers aren't going to walk around with a knife or a bit of gas pipe, they'll be tooled up, same as everybody else.
It won't be a case of "have they or haven't they", it'll be BANG (or more likely phut), get his/her wallet and leg it...............
And I still think my comments about people being likely to want guns to impress, or make a personal statement, is valid.
Our current laws do at least make a gesture towards keeping a lid on mayhem, although the application is sometimes wanting...............

Pete
Thats not really a valid arguement .

When Florida introduced concealed carry permits violent crime dropped .

Tourists in hire cars then got targetted .

While the car hire companies were thinking about removing anything that marked their cars as hire cars , police used a couple of hire cars
to cruise routes that had high tourist crime . And the crime rates dropped .
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#37 Post by snayperskaya »

Pete wrote:Surely if everyone has a right to carry, then the muggers aren't going to walk around with a knife or a bit of gas pipe, they'll be tooled up, same as everybody else.

Pete
Hang on a minute......I think the majority of us are talking about a carry permit, which could be attached to an existing firearms certificate as an extra section after undergoing additional training etc, not just giving everyone "a right" and handing out guns like sweets!.

If criminals acquire firearms as it stands now it is, as a rule, illegally on the black market as by virtue of them being criminals they are very unlikely to go through the rigmarole the rest of use go through in order to be granted a FAC when they can "see old 'arry down the Pig and Whistle"!.

Do you own your guns to impress or make a personal statement (whatever that means)?, as it seems a bit of a sweeping statement!.Who would these people be trying to impress?, other gun owners at the range?, as that's the only place anyone sees any of my guns and I would imagine its the same for most people.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#38 Post by froggy »

Well spoken Tovarich Snayperskaya :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#39 Post by Dark Skies »

I spend a lot of time in Washington (state). It's a 'shall issue' state regarding concealed permits, no training required. It's also an open carry state. A non-registered (long guns) / partial (handguns) state. And to top it off it is a 'stand your ground' state.
Therefore it has all the ingredients for one of Pete's unsubstantiated gun play / dick swinging / macho soldier of fortune speculative stories.

Yet I've never seen ANY trouble whilst out and about. I've not heard or read of any trouble in the city I frequent (Everett). I've barely seen so much as a police car with light bars on beyond the occasional traffic stop. I've always felt perfectly safe walking about at night.

I'm always surprised to learn how many people don't carry (un-American shurely?). And just as surprised to learn who does. My girlfriend's friend, a wee slip of a thing and very genteel confided in me that she always carries a 629 Trail Boss in her purse. She showed me it under the table in the restaurant - it's a beautifully engraved short-barrelled thing. A pang of envy sullied the rest of the meal.

I guess that's why so little trouble appears to occur in the area - you just don't know who's carrying or not. Having said that - in my circle a lot more women carry than guys.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#40 Post by Blackstuff »

Do you mean criminals will upgrade their illegal weapons to meet the increased threat (to them), so go from a bottle of acid/knife/bat to an illegal gun, or they'd be carrying legal guns too? I really hope its not the latter troutslapping But even if its the former, as has been mentioned in the places concealed/open carried have been introduced that arms race scenario hasn't happened.
DVC