Gun Crime UK

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Gun Crime UK

#11 Post by Mattnall »

Pete wrote: Anyway, if you yo'all think the american way is so good, why not re-locate? Plenty of space over there..........
Just don't go to the commie States like Ca, or to Virginia now. :bad:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

Firstly, who even mentioned pistols? Even though they are the best tool for that, there are all manner of different weapons available that have a defensive purpose. Your assumption that a person would be attacked just to acquire their defensive weapon is also wrong. There is absolutely nothing that statistically or evidentially that supports that proposition and after over two decades in the criminal justice system, dealing with violent and predatory offenders, there is likewise, nothing anecdotally to support your position.

And the idea that being armed is “an American way” lacks any evidential or historical fact. It was only in 1953 that being armed in public in the UK, was outlawed. And it was only in 1968 that home defence was no longer “good reason” for an FAC. So as opposed to some foreign proposition being observed, it is the reverting back to and the recognition of English Common Law, so already tested and acknowledged, that is required.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#13 Post by Sim G »

Pete wrote: Anyway, if you yo'all think the american way is so good, why not re-locate? Plenty of space over there..........

Pete

And given your "Bollox to Brexit" avatar, why not relocate to one of the other remaining 27 EU states? Where actually, it might only be the Republic of Ireland and possibly Denmark, who don't allow some form of defensive weapon to be possessed in public. Some Eastern Europe countries, such as the Czech Republic and Hungary allow firearms to be carried. As does some cantons of Switzerland and even Northern Ireland in specific circumstances!

All those countries wrong, Pete? At half past six, on a rainy, cold night in early December, when you've got off the train from work and taking the foot path between the playing field and the garages, 650 yards from home, and those two miscreants with a length of scaffold tube and a kitchen knife demand your watch and mobile phone, you 100% convinced they're not going to stab you and smash your skull in, even when you've given them what they want?

I'll almost guarantee it, there won't be a cop round the corner, as much as we'd like to be everywhere all the time.

You just want to throw yourself at their mercy, defenceless, unarmed, unprepared and alone? Personally, I want every single advantage that I can possibly have
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#14 Post by Fedaykin »

You just want to throw yourself at their mercy, defenceless, unarmed, unprepared and alone? Personally, I want every single advantage that I can possibly have
We have had this discussion before Sim G, I have never entirely understood why you have never been able to wrap your head around the point that you are not defenceless. You are allowed to use an object to defend yourself but it must be proportionate to the threat in the UK. Just because you want the advantage of a gun in a self defence scenario doesn't mean it is an appropriate form of self defence in this country.

As I have said OVER AND OVER AGAIN what is the legislative path in the UK to actually getting Parliament to vote for defensive carry of guns in the UK. If you can't explain that there is no point calling for it.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

Who said guns?

I am more than well versed in legislation surrounding use of force. And the argument about spontaneity is mute. The concept of arms for defence is about preparedness.

Tell me how spontaneity worked in Borough Markets? There were people there who very, very bravely picked up mops, chairs and even bread baskets. What I can't get my head round is how seemingly intelligent, self reliant individuals promote the abdication of their rights and responsibility when it comes to their personal safety?

Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#16 Post by Fedaykin »

Frankly your argument is paranoid, normal people going about their lives shouldn't need to spend their time preparing for a 'what-if' scenario.
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#17 Post by Pete »

And if everyone had been carrying, there would doubtless have been a lot more casualties...............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Sim G
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Sim G »

Fedaykin wrote:Frankly your argument is paranoid, normal people going about their lives shouldn't need to spend their time preparing for a 'what-if' scenario.

You have buildings and contents insurance?

Sim G
Past Supporter

#19 Post by Sim G »

Pete wrote:And if everyone had been carrying, there would doubtless have been a lot more casualties...............

Pete

I really would be interested in your theory how.

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#20 Post by Pete »

Because most of those carrying wouldn't have the faintest idea how to effectively use their 9mm Hi-Power/AR 15 or whatever.......................they'd get one because it was cool/their mates had one/they always wanted to be a soldier/they had a small dick.........

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....