Gun Crime UK

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: Gun Crime UK

#21 Post by Dark Skies »

Pete wrote:I think a lot more would try their luck, including the mentally unstable, if they could easily and cheaply get hold of a pistol..........
Anyway, if you yo'all think the american way is so good, why not re-locate? Plenty of space over there..........

Pete
Now why didn't I think of that? Oh wait! I did.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#22 Post by snayperskaya »

Pete wrote:Because most of those carrying wouldn't have the faintest idea how to effectively use their 9mm Hi-Power/AR 15 or whatever.......................they'd get one because it was cool/their mates had one/they always wanted to be a soldier/they had a small dick.........

Pete
It could in theory be done in such a way that anyone applying for a concealed carry permit would be required to undergo a training course.

Out of curiosity are there any stats regarding the size of pre-'97 Hi-Power owners dicks?.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#23 Post by Dark Skies »

Fedaykin wrote:Frankly your argument is paranoid, normal people going about their lives shouldn't need to spend their time preparing for a 'what-if' scenario.
You're right, they absolutely should not have to.
Unfortunately we live in a country where life appears to be cheap to a growing number of criminals.

I live in a pretty small market town. Last year a friend was mugged for his phone and whatever money he had left from a night in the pub. To get his old 'smart' phone and chump change they gave him a bloody good kicking and a boot to the head when he was down.
That latter spiteful kick could have killed him.
They just don't care any more. You only have to look at the rise in knife crime to see that.
A regular person in the street is easy meat to a couple of thugs with no restraint. They wander among us without much fear of getting caught - and rightly so given the cuts in policing resources. Sentencing isn't much of a deterrent either - chopped in half to accommodate logistical problems with overcrowded prisons.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Christel
Site Admin

#24 Post by Christel »

Right to Bear Arms, absolutely, bring it back.

Introduce courses where one is trained to defend oneself and others and make sure carrying is suitable for that person.
They do it with FAC/SGC, why not RTBA.

More guns, less victims. Simple.

This is not a dick thing, I do not have one, gun crime is NOT committed by law-abiding citizens.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#25 Post by snayperskaya »

christel wrote:Right to Bear Arms, absolutely, bring it back.

Introduce courses where one is trained to defend oneself and others and make sure carrying is suitable for that person.
They do it with FAC/SGC, why not RTBA.

More guns, less victims. Simple.

This is not a dick thing, I do not have one, gun crime is NOT committed by law-abiding citizens.
goodjob

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#26 Post by Pete »

snayperskaya wrote:
Pete wrote:Because most of those carrying wouldn't have the faintest idea how to effectively use their 9mm Hi-Power/AR 15 or whatever.......................they'd get one because it was cool/their mates had one/they always wanted to be a soldier/they had a small dick.........

Pete
It could in theory be done in such a way that anyone applying for a concealed carry permit would be required to undergo a training course.

Out of curiosity are there any stats regarding the size of pre-'97 Hi-Power owners dicks?.
Well I never had any complaints................

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#27 Post by Blackstuff »

Sim G wrote:
Fedaykin wrote:Frankly your argument is paranoid, normal people going about their lives shouldn't need to spend their time preparing for a 'what-if' scenario.

You have buildings and contents insurance?
signfunnypost

I wear a seatbelt when i get in a car, not because there's a slim possibility of a fine if i don't, but because i know it gives me a CHANCE to survive a crash. I have a fire extinguisher in my garage and next to my kitchen as they give me a CHANCE to save my car/house should a fire start, etc etc etc. I would like to be able to carry pepper spray/a tazer/firearm to give me a CHANCE to defend my well-being/life should I be in a situation serious enough to call for them.

I have never <touches wood> had a house fire, I have only been in one car crash where a seatbelt was required to help protect me. I've been in three situations that i can think of where either my life or someone elses was being threatened and I or the other person would have come off significantly better off had I had a proper means of defence to hand.

Not sure if i'm paranoid or just have a small d!ck. helpsign

Frankly, as soon as the knob size/rambo/paranoid comments come out, i know the other person has lost any credibility to their position they had.
DVC
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#28 Post by kennyc »

Dark Skies wrote:
You're right, they absolutely should not have to.
Unfortunately we live in a country where life appears to be cheap to a growing number of criminals.

I live in a pretty small market town. Last year a friend was mugged for his phone and whatever money he had left from a night in the pub. To get his old 'smart' phone and chump change they gave him a bloody good kicking and a boot to the head when he was down.
That latter spiteful kick could have killed him.
They just don't care any more. You only have to look at the rise in knife crime to see that.
A regular person in the street is easy meat to a couple of thugs with no restraint. They wander among us without much fear of getting caught - and rightly so given the cuts in policing resources. Sentencing isn't much of a deterrent either - chopped in half to accommodate logistical problems with overcrowded prisons.
I agree with you that violence is around, however would being armed have helped your friend?
if you are caught by surprise than a pistol is of little help, there have been numerous incidents over the years that show being armed doesn't help if you are unaware of the threat.
Christel
Site Admin

#29 Post by Christel »

Same goes with being hit by a bus, can't prevent it if you do not know it is coming.

However, person goes into a cafe where you are drinking your coffee, starts shouting and pulls a gun/machete, I am pretty sure if you are trained then you will be very quick to get the gun out and stop the idiot.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#30 Post by snayperskaya »

christel wrote:Same goes with being hit by a bus, can't prevent it if you do not know it is coming.

However, person goes into a cafe where you are drinking your coffee, starts shouting and pulls a gun/machete, I am pretty sure if you are trained then you will be very quick to get the gun out and stop the idiot.
I do wonder if violent crime/robbery with violence figures would drop if concealed carry permits were allowed?, as there would be an element of the "are they or aren't they" scenario that may put a lot of potential criminals off trying it on.

Perhaps Froggy could give an idea of the situation in the Czech Republic, where it is permitted.

Edit.....just found this, Prague compared to London

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_ci ... ty2=Prague