registering de-acts

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Rearlugs

Re: registering de-acts

#11 Post by Rearlugs »

I wonder how many thousands of de-act owners have never even heard of this, and thus will become criminals when the date milestones are passed?

Has the government or police even made the slightest effort to inform the public? I'm not aware of a single notification through any channel.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#12 Post by Pippin89 »

Rearlugs wrote:I wonder how many thousands of de-act owners have never even heard of this, and thus will become criminals when the date milestones are passed?

Has the government or police even made the slightest effort to inform the public? I'm not aware of a single notification through any channel.
This thread is the first I am hearing of it!
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#13 Post by waterford103 »

How many people , hearing about this , will be bothered to do anything about it ? There must be thousands of de-acts of various vintage out there of which there is no record . Personally I have no interest in de-acts but there are many who have them I'm sure , are we to kow tow to some jumped up dictatorial EU eurocratic diktat for evermore ? The ballot box may hold the answer to that tomorrow , we can only hope Corbyn and his like are thrashed out of existence. :flag13: :flag13: :flag13:
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Christel
Site Admin

#14 Post by Christel »

waterford103 wrote: The ballot box may hold the answer to that tomorrow , we can only hope Corbyn and his like are thrashed out of existence. :flag13: :flag13: :flag13:
shakeshout
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#15 Post by Mattnall »

waterford103 wrote:How many people , hearing about this , will be bothered to do anything about it ? There must be thousands of de-acts of various vintage out there of which there is no record .
A small ray of light in the gloom:

According to BASC the notification of the possession or transfer of a deactivated firearm only applies at present to those items acquired since 14 September 2018.
Notification of details of deactivated firearms acquired between 8 April 2016 (the date the EU technical specifications came into effect) and 14 September 2018, and which have remained unaltered ever since do not need to be notified to the appropriate national authority until 14 March 2021.

So if you acquired the deactivated firearm before 14th Sept 2016 then it's no change until you transfer it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#16 Post by mag41uk »

So from 2016 guidance " 2.3 ‘Firearm’ means a lethal barrelled weapon of any description from which any shot, bullet or
other missile can be discharged. This includes any prohibited weapon, whether it is such a
lethal weapon or not, any component part (see Chapter 13) of such a lethal or prohibited
weapon, and any accessory to any such weapon designed or adapted to diminish the
noise or flash caused by firing the weapon. "
And then: "2.16 Within the context of section 38 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006, a ‘de-activated
firearm’ means an imitation that consists of something which was a firearm but has been
rendered incapable of discharging a shot, bullet, or other missile. Section 8 of the 1988 Act
provides that, unless it can be shown otherwise, a firearm which has been de-activated to a
standard approved by the Secretary of State, so that it is incapable of discharging any shot,
bullet or other missile, is presumed not to be a firearm within the meaning of the 1968 Act
and therefore is not subject to control if it bears a mark approved by the Secretary of State
for denoting that fact. The 1988 Act requires that one of the two Proof Houses or some other
person approved by the Secretary of State has marked the firearm and certified in writing (that
is, provided a certificate) that it has been de-activated to the approved standard. No other
person has been approved for this purpose. A de-activated firearm is also to be treated as an
imitation firearm, and by virtue of section 24A can only be bought by or sold to someone aged
18 or over. "

Followed by: "2.21 An EU Implementing Regulation establishing common guidelines on deactivation standards
and techniques for ensuring that deactivated firearms are rendered irreversibly inoperable
will come into force on 8 April 2016. This places a new level of standard for deactivating
firearms across the EU. The new standards shall not apply to firearms deactivated prior to
8 April 2016 (when the Regulation comes into effect) unless those firearms are transferred
to another Member State or placed on the market. The Proof Houses will be applying
these standards to firearms submitted to them on or after 8 April 2016. A link to the
Implementing Regulation 2015/2403 is attached here."

The first one defines what a firearm is.
Ergo if its deactivated its no longer a firearm as far as I can work out.
Which makes the rest of it pointless.