Doctors signature for applications and license renewals

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: Doctors signature for applications and license renewals

#31 Post by Christel »

Alan D,

Do you think someone with mental health issues will go to the GP?

In that lies the problem with the whole system of requested medical reports.
Laurie

#32 Post by Laurie »

christel wrote:Alan D,

Yes, exactly!

Not a new issue though for GPs and licensing authorities. My doctor told me that this conflict has been around for years over the numbers of conditions that see a driving licence being revoked by DVLA. Many patients attempt to hide conditions that would see the loss of car, lifestyle, and in many cases livings.

However, the existence of such problems isn't a good argument for not having regulations - unless you fancy meeting someone half blind or with narcolepsy coming up the dual carriageway heading the wrong way head-on one day. As usual with firearms licensing though, the problems here are the usual complete b*gger's muddle in thinking the issues through properly, devising a workable scheme, communicating it, and implementing it properly. Also, as walesdave says there is the usual *sscovering motive behind it (on the police side), now being aggravated - as usual- by individual forces' continuing desire and ability to make up 'local' regulatory changes as they go along to cover their rears with even more armour plating.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#33 Post by 1066 »

I quite agree Laurie - I just wish that the various associations that most of us belong to would stand up make a real fuss (taking a trial case to court if necessary) and try nip these things in the bud. Once one force is seen to be getting away with it others will soon follow suit, as we have seen. It's just so wrong that each force is free to interpret the rules fairly much as they see fit.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#34 Post by Alan D »

The point I am making Christel, is that in principle, it's a good idea that a doctor checks and rubber-stamps our eligibility to have an FAC.

Anything that helps keep the Michael Ryan's of this world away from Firearms has to be a good idea.

If you don't have a GP, them it seems sensible to have s medical and a records assessment.

The issue appears to be that a good idea has been poorly thought out and badly implemented.
walesdave

#35 Post by walesdave »

Alan D wrote: Anything that helps keep the Michael Ryan's of this world away from Firearms has to be a good idea.
While I agree with you Alan that some sort of medical assesment is not a bad thing in itself, keeping the Ryans away from firearms is more down to the proper implementation of current (non-medical) regulations by police FEOs.
Ryan - didn't qualify for a grant of an FAC but was still given one.
Hamilton - less said the better, correctly had his guns seized by police, then had then given back for reasons that are still sealed
Bird - had an FAC and SGC even though he had domestic violence markers

.....all 'forgotten' by the media and government....
Polchraine

#36 Post by Polchraine »

No problems with a GP report - what I object to is the fact they want to charge for it!

A foreign national, who is not entitled to free treatment, visits a GP or hospital when here and then the GP or doctor does not charge for treatment - they say "we are not gatekeepers/money collectors/cashiers" or similar. So, why do they perfrom that function when it comes to an FAC/SGC requirement.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Alan D

#37 Post by Alan D »

The base point is that it's a good idea if your family doctor writes a letter confirming you are a suitable person to possess Firearms.

While anti depressants for instance might be cause for alarm to your FEO, it's different if your doctor clarifies in writing that they were part of a cancer treatment plan.

Point being your GP can explain the nuances contained within your medical history and give the specific context that certain medications are proscribed.

A helpful letter from a GP could avoid a lengthy delay...

The issues of charging, or refusal to comply by a liberal, tree hugging, remoaner sort, are of course the sticking points.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#38 Post by Dark Skies »

Alan D wrote:

The point I am making Christel, is that in principle, it's a good idea that a doctor checks and rubber-stamps our eligibility to have an FAC.

Anything that helps keep the Michael Ryan's of this world away from Firearms has to be a good idea.

If you don't have a GP, them it seems sensible to have s medical and a records assessment.

The issue appears to be that a good idea has been poorly thought out and badly implemented.
It's a rubbish idea and would not have kept Ryan away from firearms. I knew Ryan, not as a friend or close acquaintence, but as a member of our club. Outwardly he seemed pretty much your average guy to talk to. I know all the usual suspects came out of the woodwork afterwards clainming 'they knew' he was 'a wrong 'un' etc. etc. but that's bo...cks from opportunists that wanted their tuppence in the papers.

At his age he would probably have had as much contact with his GP as I did back then - pretty much zero except every couple of years or so for minor ailments or tetanus shots. This latest requirement would not have flagged him up.
What MAY have stopped him was the fact his shotgun was confiscated at some point. I can't recall why now, but I seem to recall he got his mum (ironic) to speak to the local police and they gave him it back. One has to assume it was a piffling matter but there may have been an opportunity there to nip history in the bud.

I haven't seen my own GP for several years for myself. The only contact I've had is with regards to filling in the paperwork for power of attorney for when my mum gets too far gone.

This measure is an unreasonable burden being foisted on the medical profession who feel they're being used as a shield for the police in the event of another incident.

A one off visit for a medical is going to tell pretty much zero as to mental fitness. At best it will pick out someone suffering from a physical problem - but that's probably going to be rare too. When people can't manage to shoot any more they tend to call it a day. So a handful of people with some sort of heart defect and the like.

British shooting sports are hardly replete with someone having a stroke and accidentally shooting somebody next to them. We're probably one of the safest sports going.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Alan D

#39 Post by Alan D »

Unless I'm behind the times Dark skys, you can't buy antipsychotic medications and the like, across the counter at boots these days?

The old system meant that they relied on people telling the truth about medical conditions, I will wager medical records were seldom checked...

It's simply another tool to keep the loony tunes away from Firearms, it just needs to be implemented correctly.

Any law abiding citizen who qualifies for an FAC, has absolutely zero to worry about quite frankly.

A 'correctly implemented' system makes the FEO's job easier and our sport safer and has the added bonus of keeping a closer check on the Rambo element, who run round the forest with a .308 shooting deer by my house!

I saw a guy a while back who looked like Vietnam LRRP reenactor who got lost on his way home from War and Piece , complete with a camo job on his remmy 700.... Too much time watching Deer Hunter me thinks....
Sim G
Past Supporter

#40 Post by Sim G »

Alan D wrote: It's simply another tool to keep the loony tunes away from Firearms, it just needs to be implemented correctly.

Any law abiding citizen who qualifies for an FAC, has absolutely zero to worry about quite frankly.

A 'correctly implemented' system makes the FEO's job easier and our sport safer and has the added bonus of keeping a closer check on the Rambo element, who run round the forest with a .308 shooting deer by my house!

I saw a guy a while back who looked like Vietnam LRRP reenactor who got lost on his way home from War and Piece , complete with a camo job on his remmy 700.... Too much time watching Deer Hunter me thinks....

Wow.... wtf
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!