General Question about Safe Installation

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Gazza

Re: General Question about Safe Installation

#21 Post by Gazza »

Polchraine wrote:
lazareth1 wrote: Gotcha matey ill have a check tomorrow and get to you with confirmation

Sent from my H3113 using "An application"
Two other points - what is the stud spacing? Either stud to stud or centre to centre.
Which cabinet are you considering?
At this rate he'll give up and start fishing instead lol
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#22 Post by GeeRam »

Daryll wrote:Sounds like my sons house... 3/4'' plasterboard on timber studwork filled with insulation, then the outer brick skin, with maybe a 6'' gap between the plasterboard and brick skin.

We had great fun trying to mount a cabinet to that.!!
Yep, that's what I've just found as my 2013 built house is built like when trying to install my safe aaarggh

What solution did you end up doing in your son's house?
lazareth1
Home club or Range: Dunfermline Small Bore Rifle Club

#23 Post by lazareth1 »

Sorry for the delay I got caught in a lot of other work during the week but managed to have a decent look today.

OK so after taking a plug socket out and measure through the gap I can see I have the following:

12.5mm thick plasterboard
21.5mm space between plasterboard and wall
275mm thick brick wall
120mm wide bricks

There's 35mm difference between the width of the bricks and the thickness of the actual wall so I suspect I have a cavity type wall. The pattern of the brickwork itself suggests a cavity wall.

There was no sign of insulation between the plasterboard or the brickwork.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#24 Post by Daryll »

GeeRam wrote:
Daryll wrote:Sounds like my sons house... 3/4'' plasterboard on timber studwork filled with insulation, then the outer brick skin, with maybe a 6'' gap between the plasterboard and brick skin.

We had great fun trying to mount a cabinet to that.!!
Yep, that's what I've just found as my 2013 built house is built like when trying to install my safe aaarggh

What solution did you end up doing in your son's house?
We managed to fix it to 2 vertical and one horizontal studs, plus 4 screws to the floor, and it doesn't move at all with a solid tug.

Its fixed securely to the "fabric of the house" and you'd have to pull the wall down to get it out.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#25 Post by Pippin89 »

lazareth1 wrote:Sorry for the delay I got caught in a lot of other work during the week but managed to have a decent look today.

OK so after taking a plug socket out and measure through the gap I can see I have the following:

12.5mm thick plasterboard
21.5mm space between plasterboard and wall
275mm thick brick wall
120mm wide bricks

There's 35mm difference between the width of the bricks and the thickness of the actual wall so I suspect I have a cavity type wall. The pattern of the brickwork itself suggests a cavity wall.

There was no sign of insulation between the plasterboard or the brickwork.
Just a thought, others can confirm if they think this will be acceptable....

How about drilling through the plaster board and into the brick and installing some M10 studding with resin as described previously, open the holes in the plasterboard out to around 20mm put in a 34mm long spacer and then bolt the cabinet up to those. It wont be as strong as the cabinet being flush with the brick but it will be stronger than just bolting up to the plasterboard. You could get the spacers made at a local fabricators for a few quid... or anyone with a lathe. 20mm OD, 10.5mm ID, 34mm long. Failing that you could stack up a load of washers...
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#26 Post by J4mes »

Not for me, don't think you'd get away with that come inspection time either.

Far to easy to stick a bar through the plasterboard and behind the cabinet, then lever it off.

needs to be flush to the main bricks or have a way to prevent a bar going behind the cabinet.
Polchraine

#27 Post by Polchraine »

Been thinking about this ... and no easy simple solution. Have a think about the following, it will take some work but what you have there is not ideal to fix to.
  • Trim out the skirting where you want the cabinet and mark the sides and top on the wall.

Mark new lines 50mm inside each of those and cut away the plasterboard. So if your cabinet is 400 wide the hole will be 300 wide.

Divide the width by half and add 100mm, then obtain two pieces of ply that width, the height of the hole and 21.5 (or as close as possible) and it may need to be 18/19 mm with spacer/shims rather than 22mm

Feed the timber/ply in, so it is 100mm under the plasterboard on each side and then fix using good quality hammer/frame fixings - knowing also where you cabinet fixings will be.

Either refit the plasterboard that was cut out or use a new piece - screw to the ply and skim if needed.

Install cabinet using full lenghth bolts/screws/studs ensuring they are fully into th brickwork - so probably 120mm long.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
lazareth1
Home club or Range: Dunfermline Small Bore Rifle Club

#28 Post by lazareth1 »

Polchraine wrote:Been thinking about this ... and no easy simple solution. Have a think about the following, it will take some work but what you have there is not ideal to fix to.
  • Trim out the skirting where you want the cabinet and mark the sides and top on the wall.

Mark new lines 50mm inside each of those and cut away the plasterboard. So if your cabinet is 400 wide the hole will be 300 wide.

Divide the width by half and add 100mm, then obtain two pieces of ply that width, the height of the hole and 21.5 (or as close as possible) and it may need to be 18/19 mm with spacer/shims rather than 22mm

Feed the timber/ply in, so it is 100mm under the plasterboard on each side and then fix using good quality hammer/frame fixings - knowing also where you cabinet fixings will be.

Either refit the plasterboard that was cut out or use a new piece - screw to the ply and skim if needed.

Install cabinet using full lenghth bolts/screws/studs ensuring they are fully into th brickwork - so probably 120mm long.
Thanks for the input, but I think I'm going to just cut away the hole and mount it straight to the interior brick work and keep in mind the thickness of the bricks as to not bolt all the way through to the cavity. I might actually go with the epoxy / threaded bar idea so it seals it up just in case too.
Polchraine

#29 Post by Polchraine »

That should be fine. However, get some packing/batten under the cut edges of the plasterboard and use some 15mm quadrant ro trim around teh cabinet to make it look neat.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.