Steve Smiths Shooting - Newcastle

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

Steve Smiths Shooting - Newcastle

#1 Post by CraigH »

Hi All,

I heard a rumour that Steve Smiths shooting were developing a 'Tunnel' type range, I haven't been able to find any info on the Internet so contacted them direct - they have confirmed they are doing something, ' a range for existing FAC holders who have zeroing and target practice on their tickets'.

Has anyone else heard anything? It would be interesting to know what sort of distances/calibre may be allowed.

Cheers
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Steve Smiths Shooting - Newcastle

#2 Post by Sim G »

Feck me, Steve Smiths? I remember a tiny little Gunshop at the back of Eldon Square, with my face pressed up against the window when I was allowed into town on my own, at 12 years old.... I’m 51 now, is he not dead?!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
CraigH

#3 Post by CraigH »

Sim G wrote:Feck me, Steve Smiths? I remember a tiny little Gunshop at the back of Eldon Square, with my face pressed up against the window when I was allowed into town on my own, at 12 years old.... I’m 51 now, is he not dead?!!
Shooting keeps you young!
CraigH

#4 Post by CraigH »

Only other reference I could find on the Internet is at https://picpanzee.com/media/2197493746210419232
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#5 Post by Lever357 »

Sim G wrote:Feck me, Steve Smiths? I remember a tiny little Gunshop at the back of Eldon Square, with my face pressed up against the window when I was allowed into town on my own, at 12 years old.... I’m 51 now, is he not dead?!!
I think THE Steve Smith died some time ago. The shop and subsequent shooting ground have been owned and ran by a guy called Jack Reed for some considerable time.

The ground is at Dinnington near Newcastle airport and they are in the process of installing 2 100 yard tunnels for use by shooters who are existing FAC holders, they don't want to have to become a HO approved club so people can gain their certificates. As far as I am aware they have not yet decided on the target system but I did hear that if you shoot with a muzzle break you will have to hire both lanes for your sole use!!!

They have made a lot of improvements to the ground over the last 18m, adding different clay lay outs.

Will be paying a visit when the tunnels are finished and operational.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
CraigH

#6 Post by CraigH »

thankssign
AltogetherElsewhere
Home club or Range: Severnside Range

#7 Post by AltogetherElsewhere »

CraigH wrote:Only other reference I could find on the Internet is at https://picpanzee.com/media/2197493746210419232
Reminds me a little of the old bell target 'ranges' you used to see in pubs quite often. If I recall, there were quite a few places which had a large tube or pipe with a target at the end - basically to ensure all projectiles were being fired into an enclosed, secure backstop and not pinging around the pub.
"May you live in interesting times,"
~ Traditional Chinese Curse
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

I've heard the same from a guy that runs a little PSG shoot up there too. Should be interesting, tunnel ranges are usually pretty easy to build to take at least .308, although they can be pretty unpleasant to shoot bigger stuff in, depending on the set up.
DVC