Renewals and Covid 19

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Renewals and Covid 19

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

I was emailing my local FEO (and CC'd Firearms dept) last Friday about my renewal to let them know that I was good to go when it struck me that as part of the renewal process the FEO's would be coming around to collect paperwork etc (Police Scotland process)...so I asked them if Covid 19 would have any impact on the process especially as each FEO is a potential vector for the transmission of the virus. O:-)

Might have put the wind up them as I haven't heard anything from them yet...so I checked the guidance from work (NHS) regarding home visits and it doesn't look good. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sandgroper

Re: Renewals and Covid 19

#2 Post by Sandgroper »

Business as usual...for the time being. The situation is fluid with ongoing meetings and discussions. Staff were very helpful and said certificate holders will notified in due course.

andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#3 Post by andy1979 »

Sent my application to west midlands police for conterminous Grant in by special delivery and it was signed for by "COVID 19" today so they are obviously implementing some for of controls.

We were discussing this at my club last week they may implement some form of remote interviewing via skype or something
Chapuis

#4 Post by Chapuis »

Sandgroper wrote:I was emailing my local FEO (and CC'd Firearms dept) last Friday about my renewal to let them know that I was good to go when it struck me that as part of the renewal process the FEO's would be coming around to collect paperwork etc (Police Scotland process)...so I asked them if Covid 19 would have any impact on the process especially as each FEO is a potential vector for the transmission of the virus. O:-)

Might have put the wind up them as I haven't heard anything from them yet...so I checked the guidance from work (NHS) regarding home visits and it doesn't look good. I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and see what they say.
On the contrary it could provide the necessary impetus for them to finally engage in e-commerce which the police were directed to engage in many moons ago by the Home Office but have been so reluctant to do so. Unless there is a serious problem with a renewal I can't see why they don't simply process it and then if necessary carry out a home visit at a later date when the emergency has subsided.

Or perhaps they don't want to take this approach as the number of applications that a FEO could then process in a day would suddenly increase dramatically and they would then be seen as previously working inefficiently, some will no doubt say incompetently, rather than engaging in smart working.
Sandgroper

#5 Post by Sandgroper »

Chapuis wrote:
On the contrary it could provide the necessary impetus for them to finally engage in e-commerce which the police were directed to engage in many moons ago by the Home Office but have been so reluctant to do so. Unless there is a serious problem with a renewal I can't see why they don't simply process it and then if necessary carry out a home visit at a later date when the emergency has subsided.

Or perhaps they don't want to take this approach as the number of applications that a FEO could then process in a day would suddenly increase dramatically and they would then be seen as previously working inefficiently, some will no doubt say incompetently, rather than engaging in smart working.
It would be nice to think that it could actually improve the service provided but I'm not going to hold my breath. Police Scotland seem to quite eccentric in the some of the ways they do things...like not wanting renewal forms sent in but collected by the Officer doing the inspection. My gut feeling is they will do what they have to, to get through this and revert back to the usual way of doing things.

ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

As one of the `at risk` members of the population that had been "strongly advised" by the government to self isolate for 3
months, the last thing I would want is plod banging on my door to check out my security while this virus is on the rampage.
ukrifleman.
Sandgroper

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

ukrifleman wrote:As one of the `at risk` members of the population that had been "strongly advised" by the government to self isolate for 3
months, the last thing I would want is plod banging on my door to check out my security while this virus is on the rampage.
ukrifleman.
To be fair, from my conversation with them, the Police don't want to be exposed or exposing people to the virus either.

Rockhopper

#8 Post by Rockhopper »

Derbyshire have announced today that they are no longer accepting applications for grants or variations so they can concentrate on renewals to keep people legal.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#9 Post by kennyc »

from my mailbox

BASC asks Home Office to support firearms licensing during coronavirus outbreak
Tens of thousands of firearm certificate holders could be at risk of breaking the law as the coronavirus outbreak restricts police resources, according to BASC.

The UK’s largest shooting organisation is aware that police forces are starting to divert officers and staff away from functions they consider to be non-essential such as firearms licensing. With increased pressure on GPs and health services, delays may also be seen in the licensing process where medical records are required.
RDC

#10 Post by RDC »

Rockhopper wrote:Derbyshire have announced today that they are no longer accepting applications for grants or variations so they can concentrate on renewals to keep people legal.
Lancs have told people initial grants won't get processed for 3 months, and will focus on renewals.