Renewals and Covid 19

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

Re: Renewals and Covid 19

#21 Post by Fedaykin »

We had this come in from our Club Secretary, this is what Police Scotland have decided to do. Considering how vitally important it is to socially isolate I think it is reasonable as a response:

POLICE SCOTLAND – CORONAVIRUS RESPONSE TO FIREARMS PROCESSING

The following is a brief which will be uploaded to the Police Scotland website today (20th March 2002) which has been approved at Executive level and which outlines Police Scotland’s interim processes. STS understands that these matters are of huge importance to the shooting community so are supporting the dissemination of this information through our website, social media channels and directly with members. The message from the Police reads as follows:

The current unprecedented circumstances in respect of the Coronavirus has impacted on the ability of Police Scotland to deliver a number of business as usual functions. It is necessary that we have as many officers as possible available to front line operational policing and support our colleagues in the NHS.

As such, in light of the guidance issued by the Government on Monday 16th March, National Firearms and Explosives Licensing has reviewed the current processes in respect of grant and renewal applications and the following will be implemented with effect from Friday 20th March 2020.

New Grant Applications

Grant applications received at NFEL will not be processed and will be returned to you, advising that you should check the website for updates as to when this service will resume.

The only exception to this is where the grant of a certificate is for essential employment purposes, i.e. gamekeeper, pest control, off shore work. If your application is for employment purposes, this will be progressed to the best of our ability, given the dynamic changing environment and partner organisational capacity, i.e. GP practices.

Grant applications that are currently in the NFEL processing cycle will be assessed and reviewed. Those meeting the good reason test described above will be progressed to the best of our ability. All work on grant applications currently in the system for any other purpose will be suspended meantime. This will be communicated to individual applicants by letter.

Renewal Applications

Government advice to avoid non-essential contact will be adhered to by Police Scotland. As a result, home visits undertaken by Firearms Enquiry Officers will be suspended meantime in respect of renewal applications.

If you are currently in the renewal process and have received and completed your renewal pack, you will shortly be contacted by a member of Police Scotland staff. If you wish to proceed with your renewal, this will be managed in the interim period remotely. You will be asked to return your completed paperwork to a processing centre and we will endeavour to renew your certificate prior to expiry. If this cannot be achieved, contingencies exist in the form of temporary extensions and temporary permits which will allow you to continue to possess and use your firearms. We will aim however to complete your renewal without the need to resort to this.

Clearly our aim is to return to a business as usual service as soon as possible and we will communicate on the Police Scotland website when we are in a position to revert to our usual renewal processes.

If your renewal is due between 1 August and 31 December 2020, you will receive your renewal pack as normal in the coming weeks and months. Please refer to the Police Scotland website for guidance and information as we will continue to review this dynamic situation and publish updates in relation to any changes in our process.

Visitors Permits

New Visitor Permit applications will not be accepted and will be returned to you. Where Visitor Permits have already been granted and you are unable to visit Scotland, you will not be disadvantaged and we will seek to allocate a future date, or a refund if this is more preferable to you.

Variations

Variation applications, other than change of addresses for air weapon certificate holders, will not be accepted until further notice unless exceptional circumstances exist.

Change of Address/Transfers In

If as an existing firearms or shotgun certificate holder you require to notify us of a change of address, or are transferring into Scotland from a UK force, this will be processed and you will be communicated with directly.

Please contact NFEL by email/telephone with any queries you may have. We would be obliged if you could refrain from personal attendance at police offices meantime.

Thanks to everyone for your understanding at this time and we hope you all keep safe and healthy.

Kind regards,

Admin Team

Scottish Target Shooting
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#22 Post by redcat »

Durham are no longer doing variations while you wait but I had one done last week in 4 days.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
dodgyrog
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Three Counties Sporting Club & Gardners Guns

#23 Post by dodgyrog »

redcat wrote:Durham are no longer doing variations while you wait but I had one done last week in 4 days.

Redcat
They do NOT want ANY face to face visits!
Purveyor of fine cast boolits.
All round good guy and VERY grumpy old man.
MrD

#24 Post by MrD »

Fedaykin wrote:We had this come in from our Club Secretary...………..

Scottish Target Shooting
Some folks just don't read the thread..... troutslapping

Stay safe
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
Fedaykin
Home club or Range: Cawdor

#25 Post by Fedaykin »

MrD wrote:

Scottish Target Shooting

Stay safe
Some people just don't have a quality Club Secretary keeping them up to date :good:
I am Arthur Frayn, and I am Zardoz.
I have lived 300 years...

I am immortal.
I present now my story,
full of mystery and intrigue,
rich in irony, and most satirical.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#26 Post by Andy632 »

Fedaykin wrote:
MrD wrote:

Scottish Target Shooting

Stay safe
Some people just don't have a quality Club Secretary keeping them up to date :good:

Like wot we have. ;)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#27 Post by redcat »

dodgyrog wrote:
redcat wrote:Durham are no longer doing variations while you wait but I had one done last week in 4 days.

Redcat
They do NOT want ANY face to face visits!
My original enquiry was made before the "self isolation" became the norm; reason given was staff shortage.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Lampuki

#28 Post by Lampuki »

Suffolk Firearms

My renewal is due early July. Are there any of you out there in Suffolk in the process of renewal and how is it going?

Cheers
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#29 Post by Mike95 »

I put in a variation request just before the apocalypse and to my surprise got my FAC back with the variation included...just after the lockdown commenced...so lord knows when I will be able to make a trip to collect.

Mike95
Cj10

#30 Post by Cj10 »

Lampuki wrote:Suffolk Firearms

My renewal is due early July. Are there any of you out there in Suffolk in the process of renewal and how is it going?

Cheers
My Suffolk issued FAC and SGC expire in early May.

Submitted renewal paperwork last week in February, and had a FEO visit early March. Not had any follow up communication yet, but am entitled to the eight week certificate extension in any case as I completed my renewal application within the statutory time.

Ceri