Range closers because of Covid-19

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

Re: Range closers because of Covid-19

#31 Post by channel12 »

At the time I'm posting my club's ranges are open but other onsite facilities are closed and no competitions. This morning I had to go shopping and my question is, am I at a greater risk of infection shooting or shopping provided I practise good hygiene ?
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#32 Post by Pete »

It's been suggested that keeping 2 metres between yourself and other people is a good place to start.................well it can't be done in any of our local supermarkets.............

But it can be done on the ranges at Bisley............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#33 Post by Dark Skies »

Pete wrote:It's been suggested that keeping 2 metres between yourself and other people is a good place to start.................well it can't be done in any of our local supermarkets.............

Pete
I'm sure it could be done in local supermarkets - sling a rifle across your shoulder and you'll have the pick of the bog rolls. :)
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#34 Post by Pippin89 »

Dark Skies wrote:
Pete wrote:It's been suggested that keeping 2 metres between yourself and other people is a good place to start.................well it can't be done in any of our local supermarkets.............

Pete
I'm sure it could be done in local supermarkets - sling a rifle across your shoulder and you'll have the pick of the bog rolls. :)
lol
That may be swiftly followed by having the bog roll passed to you by a guy called Frank while you're sat on the can!!
Dark Skies

#35 Post by Dark Skies »

Pippin89 wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:

Pete
lol
That may be swiftly followed by having the bog roll passed to you by a guy called Frank while you're sat on the can!!
Still got bog paper though! WINNING! :)

Breaking out in a hacking cough after moistening one's face may also work.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#36 Post by Alpha1 »

Received a couple more emails this morning cancelling more of our MOD ranges.
As for keeping your distance between shooters on the firing point one of my Clubs has over 150 members.
There are on average 12 firing points we get over 40 shooters turn up. We Regularly have 3 shooters to a firing point. We also have a lot of old folk.
Dark Skies

#37 Post by Dark Skies »

I'm hoping to get a few more goes on Short Siberia in the next week or so. It's been deserted the couple of times in the afternoon I've gone weekdays - save for one or two at least thirty feet away.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#38 Post by dromia »

My range has a shooter capacity of one, me.

Been hammering some gongs with my 45-70 Browning BPCR this morning.

The only thing that will stop me shooting is being ill.

Social quarantine is my natural state.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mike95
Home club or Range: Harrowden Rifle Club

#39 Post by Mike95 »

A pair of latex gloves..a face mask and a 2 metre separation on an outdoor range..nobody allowed who is coughing or sneezing or has a high temperature....this is about the best you can do to continue shooting.

Mike95
Sim G
Past Supporter

#40 Post by Sim G »

Pippin89 wrote: Not exactly true I'm afraid. We are past the point where it can be stopped. It WILL reach everyone and infect an estimated 80-90% of the population. There is nothing that can be done about that now. And so far the indications are that there IS an immunity. Only one case of someone getting it twice, which could be a false test or just someone with a poor immune system....

So in fact the only thing that will stop now is everyone getting it as quickly as possible which would happen by everyone who is infected running around and licking everyone they see! The trouble with that is that the NHS can't cope with all the severe cases all at one time (roughly 15% of people who get it have severe reactions) and so we need to slow it down. We can't stop it but we can delay it.

The actions being taken right now are doing 2 things. Firstly they are delaying the big impact until after the flu season so that the NHS aren't so stretched, and they are spreading the big impact out over a longer period of time which means equipment and personnel are more available when people need it.

No, I wouldn't say it was wrong, it's a theory, very much like the one you've espoused. In fact "mass infection leading to immunity was the governments first tact. Now, that has changed, the advice is "stay away".

At present, there have been numerous reports of Italian victims contracting the virus twice as has happened in Japan. And the numbers of multiple times infected in China are believed to be far greater than anyone thought.

China did not resort to "80-90%" of the population contracting the virus, that's a country of nearly 1.4 billion people. They've had 80000 infections and almost 3500 deaths. Yesterday they reported no new domestic cases. That has been achieved by locking down like only a Communist government can...

A friend is a "simple GP" and by following simple precautions you can reduce your risk considerably. By everyone adopting simple preventative measures it certainly can be slowed and stopped, which makes perfect sense and is currently being played out in China. But, the science of all this changes daily. What I do know, is hearing a woman suspected of having the virus, cough like I've never heard anything before. Trust me, you don't want it...
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!