Tikka recommendations

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Hardguy007

Tikka recommendations

#1 Post by Hardguy007 »

Hi,

I’ve took a notion of maybe doing a bit of target shooting so I’m looking for recommendations on a rifle. I’d a .223 tikka years ago and loved it which is why I’d like to go tikka again. I’d probably go 2nd hand route as I’m only setting aside £1000-£1200 for the gun only. Local shop has a t3 varmint stainless, 23” barrel, 1-8 twist with ase ultra mod at £950 which has taken my fancy but I thought was on the expensive side but maybe not when you factor in the mod. Won’t be at any crazy distances either although to have the capability would be advantageous.

Also, as per attached photo, we have a banded system for rifles over here in Northern Ireland so will be keeping this in mind too. No point getting a .223 now then wanting to change to a .308 later and have to jump through all the hoops again.

Of course this is a “how long is a piece of string” kinda question but any advice welcome.

Thanks
Attachments
E1CF8578-C493-4BB0-8F42-877093EDCE06.jpeg
Sim G
Past Supporter

Re: Tikka recommendations

#2 Post by Sim G »

You’ll be well served with a Tikka. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that wasn’t a shooter.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome to the forum. As above, you will be hard pushed to beat a Tikka.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

Hello and welcome to the forum, as mentioned a 1/8 twist Tikka would be ideal for your needs. Might be worth asking how many rounds it's done etc..

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by Pete »

+1 for Tikka.......I have 2 595's

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Hardguy007

#6 Post by Hardguy007 »

Setting aside this .223 what other calibres should I concider?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

6.5 Creedmoor. Low recoil, long range and not a barrel burner, I believe. Reloading components readily available as is factory ammo. What’s not to like? ( But I am very fond of .223 none the less)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#8 Post by mag41uk »

I have the t3 stainless super varmint in 260.
Its stupidly accurate in spite of me.
Down side is you would have to reload for it as very little factory ammo.
jamesy13
Home club or Range: Aberystwyth Rifle & Pistol Club

#9 Post by jamesy13 »

I wanted to go down the long range target route and went with a Tikka T3 CTR in .260 with a 24" barrel. Its an absolute dream of a rifle. It has an amazingly smooth bolt, smoother than the standard T3, has a 10 shot magazine and a picatinny rail on top.
I also have a Sako 85 but in my opinion the trigger is slightly better on the Tikka.
If using factory go with the 6.5 creedmoor or if reloading the .260 but either is amazing. I actually impressed my uncle who is a complete .308 lover. He had to admit how lovely the .260 was to shoot. I am a bit of a pussy when it comes to recoil lol.

This rifle is under £1,000 but just make sure what ever you decide to get, the glass on top is very important. I moved from second focal plain to first and never looked back. Just all my opinion ;) If you cant see it you cant hit it.